Chapter 15

-------------------> HEARING THE WORDS, 'GRYFFINDOR VERSUS SLYTHERIN QUIDDITCH MATCH' awoke various reactions and emotions among different people

For Lyra Black, it ranged between amusement to absolute disbelief.

To be honest, she didn't care much about Quidditch, much to the disappointment of her grandmother Irma. But to actually utter such words out loud would be considered a great sin at Hogwarts. It wasn't that she didn't like Quidditch, it was simply the loudness, injuries and the rough-housing parts that she tended to dislike. 

To quote her god-brother James, there were only two kinds of people- those who liked Quidditch and those who made very poor life choices. 

She was sure Lucius would agree with James on that, considering the Heir to the House of Malfoy was very serious when it came to Quidditch. To him, it had started out merely as a way to escape being 'proper' and behaving well for a few minutes, but then, he genuinely started to enjoy it. 

Which was why on the morning of the first ever match played by Slytherin that year -against their arch rivals, Gryffindor no less- Lyra had to really test her patience as she watched and helped Lucius Malfoy dutifully perform all forty-nine (arithmetically, a very good number being the square of seven) of his pre-game rituals.

Some of his superstitions were borderline absurd -something that she never failed to mention when she was pulled in to help him, and was also considered to be pre-game ritual number twenty six- and the rest were divided between being utterly stupid and clinically insane.

And as Lyra watched Lucius Malfoy tap his feet to the sound of 'Dance with the hippogriffs' while writing and scratching the word 'Lion' on a piece of parchment seven times, she couldn't help but blame herself for that wonderful day, way back in their second year.

Slytherin had lost every single match they had played during her first year of Hogwarts (yes, even against the Hufflepuffs. They were that bad back then). So when Lucius had been accepted to the Slytherin Quidditch team during their second year as a chaser, he had been very nervous to play his first ever match because Lucius hated losing. In fact, Lucius feared failure so much that it was actually his boggart, as she had discovered in their third year DADA class.

Lyra had been quite irritated with the way he had been acting, so she had proceeded to steal his silver and green scarf -mostly because it was cold and she had left her's in her room, draw a small snake picture on his inner left forearm and tell him to eat his breakfast or else she would force it down his throat.

Slytherin won their first match that day in a year and Lucius was ecstatic. However, instead of believing that they had won the game based on teamwork, determination, effort and the literal blood, sweat and tears that they had shed during their practise, he had come to believe that it was due to his morning routine.

So, before any match he played, he would ritualistically do every single thing that he had done on that day in second year.

The fact that Slytherin had been winning the Quidditch Cup ever since only fuelled his belief about his 'pre-game routine' as he preferred to term it because, "It is not a ritual, Lyra!"