NINE

Sitting on the bed full of flowers, all alone, Muskan awaited her groom. Saying she was nervous would be an understatement. Zarina Ma did tell her to be herself but the words that Khushi said were still lingering in her head making her dizzy.

She really wasn't ready to.... become his tonight but at the same time she thought that, if it was Rehan, maybe she'd be fine.

She hugged her knees tight.

After a few minutes, she could hear the door opening and her heart jumped to her throat and her palms got sweatier.

Then she heard the door close and footsteps approaching her. Then the mattress of the bed sank a little and she felt his presence in front of her. The smell of his ittar filling her.

"Assalamualaikum."
Rehan said trying hard his voice didn't break. He was soo nervous that he couldn't even look at her straight but still soo excited that he couldn't wait to see her to his heart's content.

"Walaikum assalam..."

He finally dared to look up at her and his jaw dropped and heart stopped.

He couldn't believe it that a normal human being could look soo beautiful. He was now completely convinced that she was a Hoor straight from Jannah.

"My butterfly....is that.... really you?" He breathed.

Muskan turned crimson clutching her lehenga.

He brought his shaky hand to touch her heena coloured ones but hesitated fearing what might happen if he did. He was spellbounded, hypnotised by her red lips and sparkling emerald orbs that were cast down filled with shyness.

There was complete silence between them. Hot breaths and racing hearts.

Rehan finally cleared his throat with a plan to lighten the mood.

"Butterfly, you were going to let me kiss your hands." He smiled.

"Huh.... I....uh...."

His smile grew at her breathless response.

"Calm down, I won't eat them. Although, they do look delicious, but I just had dinner. What about you? Did you eat well. I'm pretty sure Khushi and Ma would've stuffed your mouth till your stomach exploded."

Finally, she giggled and Rehan felt a weight off his chest. She was warming up to him, that was good.

"Yasir was ready to make my stomach explode too. I literally had to run away from those crazy couple and hide in the bathroom." Rehan laughed when he heard her laugh too.

His heart warmed up seeing her and at that moment he promised himself to protect that innocent laughter, her smile and her happiness till there was breath in his lungs.

"What was your favourite dish of the banquet BTW?" He asked as he couldn't understand what else to talk about other that food because all his attention was getting stolen by her strawberry lips and apple cheeks.

Muskan thought for a while.
"Everything."

"Everything? Liar!" He teased.

"No....it was all good." She replied meekly.

Rehan almost lost it at her cuteness.

"Well, I didn't like those gulab jamuns at all. The one you made the other day were soo delicious that it's taste is still lingering in my mouth. Can you make them again for me sometimes?"

Muskan blushed nodding smiling widely. She was soo thrilled that he complemented her cooking. Now she was ready to make gulab jamuns for him for the rest of her life.