TWENTY-THREE

Trigger warning: Abuse.

15 years ago.

Khushi hit behind her mother as soon as she saw her father entering the door. As usual he looked rouge and dangerous but that day, he seemed even more so. His left eye was swollen and blood dripped down his cheek was dried up coming from the scratches over his eyelid and eyebrow which looked like as if a bird had scratched him.

He sank on the sofa and growled looking at his wife who was a feeble woman with signs of years of abuse over her gentle face and weak frame.
"What are you staring at? Want me to rip out your eyeballs you wench?! Go get me some water!"

"Y..yes." she mumbled and holding Khushi's small hand, took her to the kitchen.

She smiled sweetly at Khushi kissing her forehead.
"Don't come out, ok my Jaan?"

She nodded obeying her mother and watched her go out with a glass of water. With trembling hands she handed him the glass which he snatched from her hands gulping it down in one breath. She stretched her hand to take the glass but instead he threw it on the wall smashing it in pieces making the feeble woman jump and shudder.

His eyes stopped at Khushi who was nervously peeping from the kitchen.
"How old is that Tramp?"

She followed his gaze grinding her teeth.
"She's your daughter and she's 10 years old!"

A hard slap landed on her face making her fall on the floor but before she could even recover from the pain he gripped her hair yanking her head up to his face.
"Are you being cocky with me you wench?! You think you can talk back to me. And lower that gaze before I gauge your eyeballs out. Being very brave nowadays are we?" He grunted and pushed her roughly as her head spinned, he kicked her stomach knocking her breath out.

Khushi began crying and ran to her brother's room who was busy studying.

"Rehan bhai...." She cried rubbing her eyes. Seeing her Rehan immediately got up rushing to her.

"What happened Khushi? Why is my baccha crying?" He hugged her frowning.

She hiccuped on her sobs informing him that,
"Papa is beating Mummy again. She's in pain..."

The veins on his forehead bulged with anger and leaving her there he stormed to the living room.

"That little lizard was much tiny than this one, yet she dared to draw Hameed Mirza's blood. I should've just ripped apart her arms rather than just pushing her off. Her mother was quite an appetizer though!" He grinned maliciously.

His wife's eyes widened with horror realising the meaning of his words and getting on her hands and knees she turned towards him with fear on her face.
"Wh...what did you do? D...did you...ruin a... another woman?"

"So what? She was dead anyways!"

She felt her stomach churn and at the same time her blood ran cold in her veins.

"How could you be such a monster? Wasn't ruining me enough? Aren't those prostitutes enough?" Her voice trembled as tears streamed like a dam.

He slapped her again.

"How dare you ask me questions?"

For the first time, she pushed away his hand and screamed.
"I will! I have the right to! You think you're God? No.... you're just a pathetic beast who has lost his humanity. A plague like you shouldn't even have existed! You will burn in the deepest depths of hell you Satan!"