THREE

"Oh Lord! Keep me alive, till there is goodness in life for me...and give me death, when there is goodness in death for me...."
That's what Muskan kept praying in her ever Salah, and everytime she felt her world crumbling and the burning urge to end her life, to end her miserable existence overpowered her.

After her parents' death, her Khala(maternal aunt) took her in along with the huge house she lived in after. Even though the house belonged to her late parents and now her, still she was ostracized and scorned on by the people she considered her family.

After the tragedy, she was the only survivor but now, had lost her eyesight marrying the unending darkness forever and her delicate arms and legs engraved with deep ugly scares to accompany her till death.
Her Khala and her older cousin sister and brother never really paid attention to her. They treated her as a burden, scorned at her, hit the little girl, gave her leftover cold food and made her grow up in the same place where her parents were brutally murdered in front of her innocent eyes. She was secluded in the dirty burned section of the huge manor. She couldn't see and yet, had to learn to do everything by herself as such a tender age... without any guidance. Right from using the toilet to washing her own clothes. Sleeping on the floor. All the while bumping into walls, tumbling down the stairs, getting hurt. But no obey came to her aid.

The little girl yearned for some affection and love, for a gentle touch and words. Tears were her only companion for a year until, her Nani (maternal grandmother) came to live with them. The little girl found her lost smile and voice back and she received every bit of love and affection she craved for.

Her Nani loved her precious niece with all her being. Even more than the other children. When her own daughter and the children gave Muskan a hard time, she would pull the little angel into her arms and make her forget about everything. Her Nani sent her to a special school and cooked and cleaned for her. She even taught her to do the same, and to be brave and strong. The others hated it and burned with jealousy whenever they saw her loving Muskan more because they were afraid, that whatever property and money the old woman owned she would give it to the blind girl.

After school life ended Muskan was confined to the 4 walls of the house. Not allowed to go out or meet anyone. Because as the little girl grew up, she graced with her mother's beauty and her father's kind nature. Her emerald eyes could steal hearts and her kind smile could enslave anyone.

Her Khala and sister were especially jealous of her. They did everything in thier power to crush her confidence by calling her ugly and treating her like a slave, making her do most of the household chores. And as she couldn't see, she believed thier every word Even though she was blind, she had a very good memory. She could cook, clean even maintain the garden which was her father's pride.

Each day, she spent smiling through her hardships and each night crying herself to sleep. She prayed for her parents...her grandparents and her Khalo who mostly stayed abroad due to work. She even prayed for the Khala, sister and brother who abused and hated her. She always wanted the best for everyone.
Lastly, she prayed....to be set free.

The little love and support she had in her life was also about to be taken from her as her Nani fell gravely ill. Her own daughter didn't bother to take care of her dying mother much, but this gentle blind niece of her's stayed with her day and night taking care of her sick Nani, as the old woman showered her with blessings with her evey breath.

"Someday, you will find a man who will take you away from this misery and give you all the happiness in the world like you deserve my bachi." That's what her Nani always told her.

"A man! Huh! Who would marry this blind, ugly girl. She's just damaged goods that has no value. Look at the scars on her body....no good man would even spit on it. She'd always be a burden on our heads till death. Atleast she does some of the household chores...but is that even enough?" Her Khala and sister used to scorn the poor child.