FOUR

Muskan heard the car door open feeling the cold breeze. Her heart was pounding and her hands were shaking because... she was finally home.

Your home is the place where you feel safe and wanted, but this home of her's was the place where she felt the most unwanted and unsafe. The momentary happiness and affection she felt last night by a few strangers, was sadly over.

"So this is your home huh cutie? Wow it's huge." Khushi said impressed peeping out. When she turned to Muskan, that girl seemed anxious and frightened.

Khushi moved her hand through her hair and Muskan immediately snapped her head in her direction startled.
"What's wrong cutie?"

"Huh? Um... it's nothing Khushi Didi..."

Khushi could most definitely sense her uneasiness.
"Are you worried about that brother of yours?" She said in a way as if her tongue burned at that bastard's mere mention.

Muskan said nothing just looked down. Khushi pulled her cutie in her arms into a gentle embrace.
"It's alright cutie! No one's going to touch you. My brother and my husband had a good.... talk with him."

And by talk what she meant was beating him half to death and sending him back with a death threat that he must never even dare to lay his eyes on her.

Her brother, was the man who saved Muskan. The one who spoke gentle words to her....made her heart skip. Khushi told her that he was her unmarried older sibling... Muskan even lost count how many times she had mentioned the Unmarried part. She wished to meet him atleast one last time before parting but....he was busy with his work.

Will I ever get to meet him again?
Will I ever be able to meet everyone else again too?

Khushi loudly bid Muskan goodbye as she saw her enter the gate to the manor. Muskan's heart sank as she heard the car leave.

She took a deep breath and opened the huge door in front of her

"K...kh...khala..." She shuddered fearing her reaction but deep inside, she had hope that maybe her Khala would pull her in an embrace being worried about her all night.
However, that tiny hope washed away as soon as a huge splash of cold water hit her abruptly making her weak frame collapse on the hard threshold.

She coughed shaking in shock and fear trying to wipe her face with the back of her wet hands.

"Badzaat ladki!" (Characterless girl!) Her Khala's loud voice boomed making poor Muskan shudder.
"How dare you come back after shamelessly spending the night with a non mehram man?!"

Muskan raised her head shocked.
"N...no Khala...t... that's not..."

"Shut up you vile wench! After staining yourself you have the audacity to talk back to me?! Is this how you are paying us back for raising you, clothing you , feeding you and taking care of you all these years?!" She yelled.