Chapter 8

Crystal’s POV 

The enormous building stood tall and proud, emitting the glorious history of its past, the sunlight reflected by its tinted glass windows. Students were going in and out of the huge entrance doors, chatters filling the air, a light breeze kissing my tendrils that were let loose from the pony. Taking a deep breath, I took a step into the glorious campus of Waterford University.

A colossal statue of a Greek nymph stood at the center of the main entrance corridor, a golden plate with the inscription “Knowledge is like water for the thirsty”. 

‘Hmm, nice but strange’ I thought to myself. 

To the left side of the corridor there was a vast map enclosed in a glass case. It labeled all the offices, classrooms, cafeteria, library and other rooms and corridors inside the campus building. I tried to locate the student rep office, as it required me to report there. The student rep office was at the end of the left-hand hallway of the main entrance, making my way towards it passing by many students who loitered around the hallways; I spotted a few couples and some new students as they chatted with their friends. 

Reaching the office, I knocked three times before a small ‘Come in’ sounds from the other side. Pushing the door open, I entered to find a woman sitting behind an enormous desk. She looked to be in her mid-40s, with her glasses perched upon her nose. A laptop placed towards her right, and a stack of files towards her left. Upon seeing me, she gave me a small smile, beckoning me to take a seat. I placed my backpack near the foot of the chair as I took a seat.

“What can I help you with?” The lady asked. I noticed a silver nameplate on the desk that read ‘Mrs. Somerset’.

“I am Crystal Jones, new admission in Business Management.” I curtly replied. 

“Ah! Just a minute I will bring out your schedule and other papers.” She exclaimed before turning to type something into her computer. The printer buzzed beside her desk while she rummaged through a blue folder pulling out a few papers. She collected a sheet from the printer before turning her attention towards me once again.

“Here, this is your schedule. A campus map, your identity card, and the details about your subjects, professors, and study materials.” She said handing me a stack of papers.

“And here are the contact details of your student mentor. They will contact you by the end of the day.” She added, handing me a small note scribbled with a name and number.

“Thank you, Mrs.Somerset.” I thanked her, arranging the papers in one hand and picking up my backpack. 

“Have a nice day.” She replied with a smile.

“You too.” I said before leaving the office and closing the door behind.

I gave Jay a call and see if he has entered the campus or not. Jay was supposed to drive me on my first day, but he woke up late and forgot that it was my first day. He asked me to wait, but me being the hyperventilating person wanted to come early. So I told him I would wait for him on the campus. His phone rang for four times before he picked up.

“He.. hello.” He was huffing at the other end.

“You’re running a marathon?” I asked him. 

“No...I..” He was breathing heavily through the line.

“Ok. Ok. Take deep breaths first.” 

“Where are you?” Jay asked while trying hard to catch his breath.

“Uhm..in front of the Student Rep Office.” I replied. 

“Geez... why do you have to be so far? Can you meet at the main corridor?” Jay exclaimed.