Chapter - 12

Crystal’s POV 

The past month went by blissfully. Once again, I had found the normalcy of my life. The daily mundanity is actually peaceful and wholesome. My daily routine now comprised going to college, helping Gabrielle with the bakery, and hanging out with my new friends during the weekends. With the passing days, we all grew closer. They also came by the bakery sometimes to taste the heavenly goodies of Gabrielle. 

Currently, I was in the kitchen making chocolate ganache for the cake that I was baking for Jay’s birthday. We decided to throw him a surprise birthday party for his 20th birthday. Raygen was in charge of decorations and snacks, I would make the cake and Antonio had the responsibility to keep Jay busy for the entire day. 

I kept the ganache aside as the oven dinged. I pulled out the chocolate sponge, placing it on the cake turntable. I brought out the chocolate buttercream and started coating the cake with it. Taking my step spatula and side scraper, I evened out the buttercream and put it into the fridge, so the buttercream could set. Bringing out the cake, I started pouring the chocolate ganache only to cover the top of the cake, before decorating the top with kit-kats and sprinkles. Admiring my art, I left it in the fridge and made a mental note to collect it later. 

“Finished making the cake?” Gabrielle asked, as I came out of the kitchen. She was compassionate enough to let me use the kitchen while she managed the customers. 

“Yes, I think it came out good.” I said with a proud smile.

“Of course it did. You are gifted to bake.” She complimented. 

I just laughed at her remark. She has been complimenting my baking skills ever since I made my first cake for my assignment. It amazed even the teacher at how it came out. Well, the secret that they don’t know is I had learned to bake with Maria and helped her around the kitchen along with Carla.

“Well, head home and get ready for the party.” Gabrielle said.

I looked at the clock, still having two more hours to spare. “I can help you a bit, it’s still early. We close early today anyway.” I told her.

“Ok, you can handle the counter then.” Gabrielle moved aside as I took my place behind the cash register. 

We worked in a rhythm as customers came, soon we were cleaning up and ready to leave. I wiped the last table before heading back to the kitchen to collect the cake. Placing it into a box, I changed out of my apron and headed out.

“I will head out first, bye.” I bid farewell to Gabrielle. 

“Ok honey. Enjoy the party and wish Jay on my behalf.” Gabrielle replied. Nodding at her, I made my way home.

Creamy Creations was just around the block from Gabrielle’s house. Entering, I placed the cake on the coffee table and headed upstairs to change. Though the cafe made little money, Gabrielle had inherited quite an amount. The house was cozy and spacious, was huge for only two of us but whose is complaining I love the homey feeling it brings.

Taking a quick shower, I rummaged through my closet to find a nice casual outfit deciding upon an off shoulder full sleeves black top and a blush pink mid thigh skirt pairing it with black ankle high heel boots. Letting my hair down in their usual wavy curls, I applied a nude lipstick and mascara; slipping a few rings in my fingers, I grabbed my phone and the cake before exiting the house. I hailed a cab and prompted the address of Jay’s house to the rider. Resting back into the seat, I watched as the buildings passed. The driver stopped in front of a beautiful two-storey house.

The house was unique, the outer walls covered in stone instead of paint, giving it that rustic modern feel: it was breathtaking. The windows were enormous enough to let the natural sunlight in and maybe enjoy the view on snowy days, in the comfort and warmth it would provide. On the top floor there was a big terrace that invited a nice late night drink while enjoying the beautiful starry sky. The house also had an enormous garage that could easily fit 2/3 cars inside. The path was made of a gorgeous marble, adorned with small foot lamps that lit the pathway.