Chapter - 18

Crystal’s POV 

The vines twisted and turned rising upright, the stalk rose high dancing across the green leaves reaching to touch the sky, making me proud as Jay cheered from the side “Yes Crys, just a little more.” 

“Jay, look it’s so tall.” I turned to look at him with a wide smile.

Thud, a small distraction and with that my happiness falls and scatters around among the fallen twigs and leaves.

“Fuck” I stared at the scattered vines.

“Calm down Crys, it’s alright you’re doing great.” Jay patted my back.

“Why is this so difficult? I have been practicing for a week now.” I slumped at the bottom of the tree.

Jay sat beside me and said, “As they Rome wasn’t built in a day, so have patience hare."

“You and your idioms.” I remarked with a small smile. Jay loves calling me a hare, reasoning that they are the most impatient and adorable animal just like me.

“They make you smile so it’s good.” Jay shrugged. “Take a breather, I shall take a run.”Then added getting up and dusting his pants.

I gave him a small nod as I watched him go behind a large tree,after a few seconds he came back in his wolf form. His wolf gave me a slight nod before taking off into the woods, the sound of its paws hitting the forest ground fading into the distance.

I leaned against the tree, closing my eyes to relieve my nerves. It has been a whole week since I learned that my birth parents would come to visit me, a week since I started practicing my powers and a week without Antonio around. He was supposed to be back by now, but I haven't heard any news regarding him. Every time I ask Raygen or Jay about it, they avoided the topic. Suspicious much.

“Fiona, you there?” I spoke through our bond.

“Yup.” Her one-worded responses were irking me. She has been like this for a week. Though our bond has improved, she only speaks when spoken to.

“Can you stop talking in single word syllables?” My voice sounded irritated.

She sighed, “Is Antonio avoiding you?” She asked in a low voice, out of nowhere.

“How would I know that? And why does it even matter?” I scoffed.

“It matters Crystal.” She responded. 

“What do you mean?” I frowned.

“I don’t know, but it seems we have a connection to him. A special connection.” She sounded unsure.

I was surprised. “Do you mean something like a mate?” My tone was uncertain. 

“Yes.”

How could this be possible? I already have a mate, how could Antonio be my mate. Fiona has to be delusional. Maybe his presence grew on us to make her think that.

“You know we already have a mate.” I reminded her.

This time Fiona scoffed “Yeah that piece of shit, who abandoned you.” 

“Hey, it’s our mate.” I tried to sound offended.

“I already told you that being a purple spirit, we aren’t bound by a mate bond.” Fiona reminded me.

When I had asked Fiona about the prophecy where it mentioned about choosing a mate, she explained purple spirits aren’t bound by the mate bond i.e. they won't feel the pain of rejection and can choose their own mates if they want.