Chapter - 22

Xavier’s POV

Rolling out of bed I pulled away the sticking to my sweaty body, raking my hair with one hand and rubbing my eyes with the other I made my way to the bathroom. Standing in front of the mirror I leaned over the washbasin, as I stared at my tattered face in the mirror. Heavy under eye bags adored my eyes, complementing the broken look in them, my lips chapped and dry, a light stubble growing from the lack of shaving for days and my greasy hair looking like a bird’s nest. 

A small sudden jolt of pain in my chest made me flinch, it went away as quickly as it came. I took a deep breath, sighing at my misery, this has been going on for the past four months now; everyday the jolts of pain made me realize the bond between me and Crystal is disappearing. It felt like someone was snapping the strings attaching our souls one by one.

Crystal, the mere thought of her name shatters my heart into multiple pieces. It has been six months since she kicked our bond to the turf and left the pack forever. I can’t even blame her for acting the way she did because it was me who pushed her to her limits, if only I could have been a little brave and accepted the bond rather than being a coward and pushing her away with the sorry excuse of protecting her. 

I tried several ways of searching for her, but everything came to a dead end. Everyone else has given up on the effort of finding her, even her family and close friends moved on to live their lives. I didn’t understand how they could be so calm about and not even bat an eyelid without knowing her whereabouts. Does this mean they all know where she is? I thought.

To top it all my wolf still hasn’t spoken to me, he had retreated himself to the back of my mind, hiding and blocking away any form of communication. The weakening of the bond was affecting him more than me, and it scares me that I might lose him if the bond disappears. 

Heaving out a heavy sigh, I pulled out my trimmer from the cabinet and trimmed my stubble; I splashed my face with water slapping myself a few times to make the blood rush to my pale cheeks and make me look a little lively. Hopping into the shower, I scrubbed myself clean off the grime and sweat; lathering my hair with the peach shampoo. The only reason I am trying to look presentable is because of the meeting with the pack leaders and a few of the Gamma members that I need to attend to discuss the current rogue situation. 

Stepping out of the shower I secured the towel around my waist entering my walk-in-closet, grabbing the first thing that caught my attention. Getting dressed in a navy blue button down and white jeans pairing them with my grey sneakers, I looked at the mirror to see myself look a bit presentable. The hot shower had helped to get rid of the paleness in my skin, though the eye bags still remain the same. Well, I could always make it an excuse for my lack of sleep.

“Morning Alpha.” A pack member greeted me as I started to descend the stairs. 

Entering the dining area, I greeted Maria who was busy setting the table. I took my seat, waiting for the others to join. 

“Morning Buddy.” Aiden greeted, walking with Carla hand in hand.

“Morning Aiden, Morning Carla.” I greeted back.

“Morning Xavi.” Carla said, both of them taking a seat to my left. 

Maria placed a plate of waffles topped with blueberries and honey in front of me and gave me a small smile.

"Thanks Maria." I said eyeing my favorite breakfast, I didn’t feel the usual rush of adrenaline but rather the need to push the plate away overpowered me. I decided to take a few bites and not let Maria's effort go to waste.

“Xavier, is there anything important to be done after the meeting?” Aiden asked, pulling me out of my reverie. Carla subtly tried to single me to respond in negative from beside him.