Chapter - 15

*warning* : mention of death of family members.

Crystal’s POV 

We stepped through the gates, our footsteps resonating against the tiles. The path was laid in a checkered format with fresh green grass lined in between the tiles. A huge flower bed of pink and red carpet roses was planted in the center, aligned with the doorway. Two small stone water fountains stood at either side of the entrance, with small pots of carpet roses beside them. The wide marble stairs led to the mahogany double doors wide opening into the entrance hall of the mansion.

The mansion gave rustic modern Victorian vibes with its open floor plan, Victorian staircases and modern furniture. One side of the entrance hall was an open living room area with plush seats around the antique coffee table. A marble stairway ran from one side of the room leading to the upper floor lined with banisters paved with an intricate pattern. A large chandelier hung from the high roof, lighting the whole hall. 

I was awestruck by the beauty of the house to even notice the stares I was receiving from the others. A portrait of an old man hung in the middle of the staircase intersection. Clambering up with fleeting steps I came face to face with the blue orbs similar to mine. The man held a serious expression, but there was a hint of playfulness in his features. My eyes trailed down to the silver-plated engraved into the wall where the words ‘Lord Christopher McDermott’. 

“That’s your grandfather.” Antonio said, coming to stand beside me.

I nodded at him before picking up a photo frame on the mantel; the frame held a picture of a woman carrying a baby girl wrapped in silk wraps. I recognized the girl from my childhood pictures; it was none other than myself. And a man stood beside the duo with a a face of adoration and love as he stared down at the woman and child. For years I have wanted to meet my birth parents, but now looking at this picture a strange fear crawled its way to my heart, as tears flowed down my face. I placed the picture back and wiped off my tears. A feeling of sadness grabbed my heart as it yearned for comfort. 

“Want a hug?” Antonio said, opening his arms.

I wasted no time in embracing him in a hug as his muscular arms encased me, caressing my hair as more tears flowed.

“I don’t know why I am crying.” I said in between sobs.

“Shh..it’s alright. You just got overwhelmed.” He said, continuing to run his fingers through my hair.

“Are they?” Disentangling myself from the hug, I left the question unfinished. 

“Yes,they are your parents.” A deep voice spoke from behind.

I turned around to find a man standing at the top of the staircase. His shoulder length grey hair shining as the sunlight hit his face from the open window. His eyes gleamed with happiness. His lips curved into a smile that made wrinkles appear at the corner of his eyes and his forehead. He slowly climbed down the steps to come and stand in front of me.

“You know them?” I asked as I watched his eyes glisten.

“Yes. They are the most lovely people I have met so far. And now finally after 20 years I got the chance to meet you again.” He said.

“And you are?” I asked.

“Crystal, this is my Dad, Marvis Hale.” Antonio said as he came forward to introduce his dad.

“Hello, sir.” I greeted him.

“Silly, don’t call me sir, just call me Marvis, don’t make me a subject of dishonor by letting you call me sir.” Marvis reprimanded.