twenty three | ❝stay away from her.❞

❝Oh no, there you go making me a liar

Oh no, there you go making me a liar.

☀︎

ANNA'S PULSES QUICKENED. She would finally be seeing Zach and Tia after a month and a half. She'd been on previous missions before but it had never taken her longer than three weeks to beat the shit out of her target and lock them up.

This was too different from how she had handled others before Harry. There was a tight knit crew, a very accepting family, Mia, and of course, Harry and Mark. She'd not forgotten the way Mark had looked at her back in the bowling alley.

It felt alien but Anna had found herself thinking about it while laying down on the floor. Anna heaved a sigh of relief. That disgusting mattress was finally going to go. Although, when she came to actually think about it, the mattress wasn't that bad.

At least she hadn't been attacked by a wide eyed rodent.

Anna could handle anything. Knives, guns, swords, fists, and even rabid dogs. But those small rats and mice with their little feet and impossibly large eyes, scared the living shit out of her. She'd rather die than come to face one.

A warm hand came into contact with her palm and gently eased into her grip. She gladly caught on to the heat, her own hands freezing to death. "I'll be right here, don't worry. Zavier's giving up on a lot if he let you go."

Anna blushed furiously at Harry's little reassurance. He was right. Code Black wasn't the only thing that kept her on edge. Valentine's was just around the corner and Anna wondered if Harry would allow her a day off.

Training had been intense this past week and Anna had worked her ass off. She was obviously the best among the crew, even better than Harry himself. Mia was slipping down the ladder and Anna had caught her talking to Mark a few too many times.

Maybe Mia was attracted to him? Maybe she should back off and not let anything come in between them again. Anna nodded to herself. This seemed right to her. She was going to make it clear that she had no feelings for Mark at all.

Or did she? Anna mentally cursed herself and decided to distract herself. She could just ask for permission now while they waited for Zach and Tia.

"Harry, um, what do you think about Valentine's?" Anna asked lightly, considering it better to beat about the bush rather than jumping right into the battle.

Harry turned to look down at her, an amusing smile pulling at the corners of his lips. "Is that a subtle way of asking me out?"

"What? No! Of course not! That's wildly wrong, I would never!" Anna pulled her hand out from his grasp and crossed her arms in front of her chest. She tapped her heel on the sidewalk, clearly annoyed at his straightforwardness.