nineteen | ❝who are you?❞

❝She's a girl who would rather wear boots than high heels

She's a girl who would rather wear boots than high heels.

☀︎︎

ANNA RAISED HER EYEBROWS at Harry, craning her neck to get a better look at him. She urged him on for information she knew he was hiding. She needed to know what it was and send it back to Zach and Tia. Maybe they could help out with gathering more intel.

At least that is what she told herself. Anna felt that if she could keep on saying the same thing she could somehow forget the rising curiosity in her chest. And it was not just an agent's curiosity. It was the kind of curiosity that you feel when you want to protect someone.

The kind when you want to heal someone, when you want to share their burden. The kind that feels like an indestructible weight sitting on your chest. It pulls you down and you can only hope that you can help them and yourself before it's too late.

But Anna would have none of that crap. She was a woman on a mission, dangerous than a hungry cheetah, and wilder than a mad boar. She wouldn't wait for him to save them. She would pull him out by the collar, if it came to that.

"Who are you really, Bermuda?" Harry said suddenly and Anna's breath caught in her throat. All of a sudden, Anna felt like the walls were closing in on her, like there was a shortage of breathable air.

Anna had never felt this way before. She was trained for situations where her cover could get blown or where she could be cornered. Her training told her to stay calm, to look the accuser in the eye. And lie. That was what she was taught at the academy.

She was not a rule breaker; she played well within the rules, only twisting them when necessary. Right now, something told her that twisting would not do the trick. She would have to break them. She was compromised and without backup. Anna knew what she had to do: fight.

He was dangerous and god knew what he would do to her. Her heart beat wildly and deafeningly. She prayed that it was inaudible to him, lest he should sense her fear. Anna stood up and stood facing Harry. She could read people before, she could do it now.

Treading carefully around the subject, she said, "What ever do you mean by that?"

"I mean, Bermuda," he said, stepping ever so close to her that she could inhale his woody cologne, "that you may not be who you led me to believe you were."

Anna's heart galloped wildly in her chest and she could feel her throat drying up. Although there had been no reports of Florian's men being murderers, what's to say they won't hire someone else to do their dirty work?

She stepped back a little, creating breathing space between them. Anna was flushed an embarrassing red and her fingers found their way back to her bracelet. She flicked the beads nervously as she tried to keep her voice level.