nine | ❝what every human wants.❞

❝Beware of the power of the dark side

Beware of the power of the dark side.

☀︎︎

EVEN BEFORE HE SET foot in the abandoned warehouse that they had set up for recruitment and planning, Mark knew he was in deep shit. The space was huge and spacious with tiled floors.

But the walls had cracks lining them, the plaster was peeling off and occasionally a few drops of water would fall from the ceiling. He rubbed his temples, annoyed that the place was worse than he had expected.

"Mark, you-" Harry's voice sounded out from the distance. Mark turned to his left to find Harry practically running to where he was standing.

"Okay, okay. I know this place looks worse than shit and before you yell at me-"

"Yell? Are you crazy? This place is perfect. I just looked it up on our satellite map and it is nowhere to be found. We'll be able to stay here for a long time, Mark, good job," Harry bowed his head slightly, gave him the two finger salute and walked back to where he came from.

Mark stood gaping after him. "You are okay with this?"

"Yes, Mark, what else do you want me to say? Marry me?" Harry sighed, exasperated.

"Oh, shut the fuck up-"

"Yeah, no. Pick up your briefcase, Moschino Marvoni won't meet with himself." Harry picked up a coat from the table he had set all the connections on.

Wires spiraled around a huge wooden box, inside which a steel grey computer sat, humming lightly. The wall on the opposite end was already covered with flat screens, ready to be switched on.

Mark felt a thump on his shoulder only to find Harry jingling the warehouse keys. "Lock up and meet me on the Grand Fifth street. We can't risk Marvoni's men picking us up here," he said and threw the keys at Mark.

Mark caught hold of the keys and ran alongside Harry towards the exit. "I'm leaving with you. Just wait for a minute, okay?"

Mark pulled the huge steel doors behind him, breathing heavily from the exertion. "Fine, let's go," he said and brushed his coat after clapping the padlock shut.

They walked to the Grand Fifth, gloved hands in their pockets and they stood waiting at the intersection. Soon enough, a shining blue car pulled up in front of them. The window rolled down and a sunglass-wearing, bald giant signalled them in.

Mark opened the door for Harry and slipped in after him. They sat in silence, sharing the occasional glance to mock either the wailing song playing in the stereo or the clean and shiny bald head of the brute.

After half an hour of agonizing wailing and staring at a 'too bright for the human eye' head, the car stopped in the middle of a desolate street. They were surrounded by crumbled warehouses and burning dumpsters.