thirty | ❝i never wanted to lie.❞

❝Nothing breaks like a heart

Nothing breaks like a heart.

☀︎

HARRY STOOD UP, slowly but threateningly, like a cheetah before it strikes. Anna held up her hand, stopping him. "Hands behind your head where I can see them. You try anything funny with me and I will not hesitate before breaking your nose."

He put his hands up but continued his slow pace towards her, as if he did not care what she could do to him. "Harry, stop. You either answer my question the good way or we can do this the medieval time way. Your call."

Anna turned swiftly and locked the door before Harry could say anything. He looked down at his soiled shoes, his hands still above his head. He squeezed his eyes shut, wondering why everything had gone so terribly wrong. He wanted to apologise to her for every single thing he'd done.

Instead, all that would come out of him was, "I'm sorry. I never meant for you to find out. I asked Mark not to tell-"

"Find out never or not now?" Anna demanded, her every word like a whiplash on Harry's chest.

"Never," he whispered quietly. If Anna wasn't so close already, she'd be barely able to hear him.

"So, you would just go on lying to me about all this. About you, this mission, the crew, your father, everything. Was anything you said in these past few months even truthful?"

Harry's eyes swung up to meet hers in a direct challenge. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, the 'hi Bermuda', 'oh I love you', 'I'll always be here for you', was a whole charade, wasn't it? Tell me, Florian," she spat, "wasn't it?"

Harry sneered. "Don't you dare call me Florian."

"And why shouldn't I? Aren't you him? Aren't you a fucking terrorist? You are the heir to the Manhattan mafia and you are telling me that you aren't proud of that? You, Florian, are a thief with nothing more than cheap tricks under your belt."

Harry brought his hands down and squared his shoulders. "Say that one more time and I'll make sure you end up in a body bag. I don't care what you think about me. But don't you dare assume that I am Florian. I left that identity behind."

"Did you really?" Anna took another step ahead. "I should have known. Florian Strebor and Harry Roberts. Strebor is Roberts backwards. And you tell me that you left that identity? Sounds to me like you are actually impressed at having been able to come up with the name."

"I swear to God, shut your fucking mouth!"

"Absolutely not, you asshole. Tell me. Why should I? After everything you've done? You are a thief, a murderer, a coward, a b-"