thirty five | ❝nowhere to run.❞

❝I will not give you up this time

I will not give you up this time.

☀︎

ANNA'S KNEES WOBBLED. Her legs gave way beneath her and she toppled to the ground like a broken doll. Silence rang in her ears, causing her to scream out in pain. A stab went through her shoulder, like fire being injected in her blood.

Anna tasted a metallic scent in the air. She felt a sticky substance under her hand. She reached out slowly, picking up some of it. She pulled her hand up with great effort and stared at the red colour staining her fingers. She could not register it.

What was happening to her? All she remembered was Mark holding a gun, her jumping in front of Harry at the sound of a gunshot, sirens, and then- darkness. She could not remember coming into contact with anything that could have grazed her.

Was she dying? Why was she bleeding? Tears slipped involuntarily out of her eyes. Anna was startled. What was she crying for? She tried wiping her tears away with her left hand. But the moment she picked up her left arm, a searing burn ran through her.

Anna yelled, her tears flowing faster. So she was hurt. Was she dying? Anna nodded. She was dying, she knew it. Her chest was spasming uncontrollably and her fingers were shaking. She felt feverish. Her eyes fluttered, wavering between consciousness and sleep.

Noah's voice rang in her ears. "Anna? Anna! Oh my god, Anna, can you hear me? Harry, let them go, Anna isn't responding! Harry!"

All of a sudden, a cold touch around her hand. Anna shut her eyes tight, knowing it was death's ghastly hand holding on to her. She did not want to leave just yet. She still had so much life left in her. "Let me go," she whispered, "I want to live."

She let more tears fall. She did not even have the chance to meet her parents one last time. She'd lost them to trauma before and now she was losing them to her own death. She'd miss them so much. "Tell my parents I love them. Please."

"I will."

Even through the pain, she snapped her eyes open. That voice. It was her life rope, pulling her out of the sea of death. She focused her eyes on the golden ones she'd grown to love and cherish. Anna would always hate him for leading her along the way he did.

But her deathbed wasn't the right place to carry her grudges to. Harry had done so much for her, he'd always been there even when he knew he was just digging his own grave. She clasped his hands tightly. They quivered in Harry's grasp. It hurt her but she held on.

"Run, Harry, please," Anna whispered, her breath catching in her throat. She involuntarily moved to cover the wound on her chest, blood spilling all over her dainty but pale hand. The sirens were at their peak now and the police and agency cars could be seen lining up outside the bank.