twenty four | ❝on top of the ferris wheel.❞

❝Where you are, is not who you are

Where you are, is not who you are.

☀︎

ANNA REJECTED ANOTHER MATTRESS. "What do you mean he pushed you?" Anna asked. "You could've punched him back, Zach. It's not that hard, sweetie."

"Anna, you aren't listening to me. He, um, he threatened me. About you." Zach eyed Harry nervously, who was chatting away with a delighted Tia. "Get out before he does anything bad, please."

"Okay, first of all, he would never say that," Anna said, bouncing on a new mattress. "Secondly, I have to find Florian first. I am not leaving before that. And third, can you elaborate?"

"He knows who we are, alright?" Zach sounded urgent, his head bent low. He couldn't make head or tail out of it but if something happened to Anna, he would never be able to forgive himself.

"And that's why all of us are still standing here? Alive?" Anna laughed at his absurdity and moved on to the pillow section.

Zach clenched his fists and bit his tongue. He was about to lose it and he did not want that to happen. "Anna, listen to yourself! You sound like a stupid bitch."

Anna stopped walking and glared at Zach. "One more insult, Zachary, and you will be missing a few teeth."

He rushed in front of her and blocked her way. Holding her by the shoulders, Zach compelled her to look into his eyes. "Look. Look at me. Do you think I'm lying? Anna, why would I?"

Anna studied his eyes. They never lied. Even when he competed against her, his eyes never betrayed his tongue. He was always honest, even if the words sometimes cut way too deep. She knew he was always right.

Why would he lie of all people? Anna sighed. This was getting out of hand. What game was Harry playing at? She could sense the danger but she would not back down without completing her mission.

"Fine. I'll be extra careful, okay? Now can we please settle on a new mattress?" Zach turned away, exasperated and tired. He knew she wouldn't leave. She was too headstrong to listen to him. He would have to talk to Damien as soon as possible.

"What do you think about this one?" Anna asked and pointed at a white, cotton, flower printed pillow. "This looks cute?"

"Yes. Sure," Zach yawned, a dreariness coming over him. He'd never been good at shopping and absolutely hated giving his opinions. His mother often took him along to these "adventures", as she termed it, and she always hated his choices.

What was wrong with a steel grey cushion with fuchsia flowers? Or a lime green pillow with extremely bright stripes of orange? Zach would never know.

Eventually, tired of his single worded remarks, Anna waved Harry over. "What do you think? Pink or black?"

"Black. Definitely. Why is that a question?" Harry said, decisively.

"Mhm, it's beautiful. Black, it is. This is how you do it, Zach," Anna joked.