one | ❝not your concern.❞

❝If there's one thing I'm willing to bet on, it's myself

If there's one thing I'm willing to bet on, it's myself.

☀︎︎

A GIRL SAT STIRRING her half-empty drink, her eyes darting around the room, keeping watch on a man. She would rather just stab herself with a skewer but, oh well.

"Can I buy you a drink?" He sidled up to her. His breath smelled like he had downed barrels of alcohol. "And that may not be the last thing I can give you." He winked, a sick smile spreading over his face as his eyes wandered freely over her.

She summed him up. Eyes as black as the night sky, a scar cutting the side of his face, barely missing his right eye, the telltale red skull tattoo with messiah written on his wrist. Jackpot.

She hated her job sometimes. Why should she even sell herself short when she could punch the teeth out of his disgusting face?

"Herpes?" The girl muttered under her breath.

"What?" He said, raising an eyebrow. She quickly tilted her head and sat up straight.

This was her last chance. She couldn't let him get away again.

"I just asked for your name." She said, her eyes filling with a darkness that called him.

He smiled at her. "Just call me--" he paused, looking around for inspiration before his eyes fell on his wrist. "Messiah," he winked.

The man stepped even closer, their shoulders brushing against each other, sending uncomfortable shocks through her body. The man seemed to like the effect he had on her. He raised his hand and touched her cheek, running soft circles with his thumb.

She moved her neck away from his hand and stood up. She had her head bent down and now she looked up at him with a slight blush lighting up her face. "Let's take this somewhere else?" She grabbed hold of her purse, put on her coat, and pulled out a hotel key card.

He took hold of her hand and threw a wad of cash at the bartender, his eyes fixed on her. They walked towards the exit, her companion already calling for a cab. She smiled to herself.

She had him this time.

She pulled him closer to herself, her fingers gently caressing the light tan coat he had on. They stood on the street, not talking but she knew she had turned the tables. She knew she was in control now. She knew he wouldn't be paranoid because he was already in a daze from all the drinking and the subtle flirting.

The cab pulled up in front of them and she quickly gave the driver the address. He was a middle-aged man and from the looks of it, he was eager to get away from the touchy-feely couple who were now in his backseat.

She kept her hand positioned on his thigh while her head rested lazily on his shoulder. He tried to slip a hand inside her coat but she stopped him. She whispered against his lips, "There'll be plenty of time."

It didn't take long for them to reach her hotel. The man quickly paid the cab driver and led her along towards the elevator. He couldn't believe his luck. A deal gone well, an alliance sorted out, traitors killed, and now a beautiful woman to spend the night with.

They stumbled into the elevator, breathing heavily. The air was tense between them. Both of them knew at that moment, they had what they wanted. And nothing made them happier. The elevator pinged open and she held his hand, leading him inside.

They reached the door to her room and she shuffled around in the contents of her bag, trying to find the card. Her fingers finally brushed against the smooth surface of the hotel card and she pulled it out while another card fell on the carpet, oblivious to her.

The man bent down to pick it up while she swiped the hotel card. He glanced over the card casually and was about to return it to her when something caught his eye.

Bail Enforcement Agent.

Acting upon instinct, the guy rushed towards her and pinned her face-first to the wall. She didn't move a muscle, having been trained for such situations. He twisted her arm back and said viciously, "Who the fuck are you?"

Although he couldn't see her face, she couldn't help but smile a painless smile. "Not-" she said, readying her elbow, "-your concern." She jerked her elbow back hard, hitting him right in the stomach.

He staggered behind but it was not enough to daze him. He lowered his head, and with a growl charged straight into her. She let out a pained breath as she slammed into the wall behind her.

The man brought his fist up and it was aimed directly at her face. She waited for a millisecond and ducked, letting his hand strike the wall. He howled with pain. Smiling, she slid out from underneath him, kicking him in the groin.

He sucked in a breath and groaned, clutching his balls with pain as he stumbled backwards. "I'll make you wish that you had never met me," she said, a trickle of blood running down her chin. With that, she punched him in the face, knocking him out cold.

She bent down halfway and let the adrenaline that had consumed her, wash over. She pulled out her phone and with a quick series of taps, dialled a number. "I've got him. Come on up."

She put her phone back and pulled out a pair of handcuffs from her purse. Bending down, she turned him over and swiftly locked the cuffs in place.

Within a few minutes, she heard muffled footsteps on the carpeted corridor. Two men dressed in casuals and sunglasses rounded the corner. They picked up the man and smiled at her.

"Another score for you Ms. Beck. Well done," the shorter one of them said.

She smiled and waved them away with a light chuckle. "Never mind my score. Just tell Damien to transfer the money to my account by tomorrow." She turned away and opened the door to her presidential suit, looking forward to a night of relaxation.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━