twenty eight | ❝you were responsible.❞

❝I came in like a wrecking ball

I came in like a wrecking ball.

☀︎

MARK SHUFFLED THROUGH the papers in his hands. This was it. He finally had the one thing that would help Harry forget about his stupid little crush. There was nothing that he would not do for Harry. Even if it meant breaking his heart, Mark would do it.

He had worked for hours to dig this up. Anna was one smart woman. There were no real records on the public servers about her. Everything was under lock and key but it was nothing a 12 hour long coding session couldn't achieve.

Mark walked out of the surveillance room, decisively. Everyone else was out on the lawn, going over the building layout and running laps. Mark watched them from the window for a few minutes. Anna was jogging the perimeter of the lawn, sweat dripping from her face.

Mia, Noah, and Jeremy were going over the blueprints of Genesis Financial, burning it into their minds. Harry was sitting down under the huge oak tree, his eyes following Anna. Mark gripped his papers and decided to talk to Harry.

But something in him shifted. He had already tried talking Harry out of falling for Anna. He even knew that she was a goddamn government agent and he still did nothing about it. Every second she breathed the same air as them, she was bringing more threats along with her.

All Harry did though, in such a crucial time, was declare his feelings for Anna. Anna, the agent. The traitor. The spy. If it was anyone else, Harry would have had their head. But not this traitor, no. This was why the no feelings rule was important in the criminal world.

Love and emotions made you weak and snatched away the ruthlessness that you once carried. Mark squared his shoulders. It was now or never for him and he slowly opened the lawn gates. He whistled Harry over, who looked as if a trance had been broken.

Harry jogged over to him, his tousled hair looking even more perfect than usual. Mark had no time left to waste. He pushed the papers into Harry's palm and urged him to look at them.

"What's all this?" Harry asked, going through the pages filled with documents, photos and lawsuits.

"This," Mark said sternly, "is what you need. Do you know who Anna's parents are?"

"Yes, Maria and James Beck. But why are you showing me pictures of a car crash and these government documents?"

Mark sighed, feeling nervous all of a sudden. "You know what this is. You were there. You were responsible for it."

Harry's eyes widened with recognition. He was responsible for this whole fiasco. He had had to run away before it backfired in his face. And now it was back again, beating up terrible memories of the past.

Fear, anger, confusion, and hurt chased each other in his conflicting eyes. He was clenching the photos, his jaw tight and hard. His knuckles were turning white and he was wobbling slightly on his feet. Harry closed his eyes and threw the papers on the floor.