eight

september 24th, 1975 - courtyard

Remus is walking down the path that cuts through the courtyard, on his way back to the dorms from his last class of the day. James had left the moment he saw Lily, then Sirius saw Severus, hoping to distract him while their friend attempted to charm the girl for the hundredth time today. Peter had quickly followed Sirius, leaving Remus on his own as he didn't feel up to keeping up with their mischief on this particular day.

"Remus, hey!" He turns around, a warm smile forming on his lips. His heart skips a beat at the sight of Lorelei walking up to him, dressed in her Quidditch uniform. "Long time no see, Lupin. How are you? You been getting some sleep?"

"I'm doing well. And yes I have been getting a little more sleep." He chuckles softly, making her smile happily. She didn't have to know that it was through naps in some classes that he got more sleep, he thought. "How are you? Did you finish practice?"

"I'm great. I'm actually on my way to practice. I saw you from across and thought I'd take a moment to come see you." She beams, and his heart flutters happily.

"I'm honoured. Shall I walk with you the field then?" He asks, making her blush a little.

"You don't have to. I don't want to be a bother. You probably have better things to do." She hums and he shakes his head.

"Absolutely not." He assures her, causing her to smile happily as they walk side by side towards the field.

"Where are the other three?" She asks, glancing up at him.

"James is talking to Lily. Sirius and Peter are probably annoying the hell out of Severus." He replies and she snickers.

"Poor James, so obviously in love with her and she can barely tolerate him." She hums, looking ahead at the Quidditch field.

"Well, at least he can talk to his crush." He blurts out, his eyes widening as he realises what he just said. She stops in her steps, making him turn to look at her as she grins up at him.

"Remus Lupin! Who is the special lady or sir?" She asks excitedly and he looks down nervously.

"You wouldn't... you wouldn't know her." He says, knowing well enough that that was far from the truth.

"Okay, I won't push you to tell me who she is. But everything else is a must. What house is she in? Where is she from? Is she beautiful? She must be. Oh, I'm so excited." She grins happily and he chuckles softly, shaking his head. He turns back around and continues walking. She huffs, realising he wasn't about to answer her questions. "Won't you at least answer one question?"

"How about we make this a little game?" He asks, an idea having come to mind. "I'll answer any question other than who she is, when I think you deserve one."

"And what exactly do I have to do to deserve one?" She asks as she catches up with him and he smirks.

"That's for you to figure out." He shrugs, making her gape at him.

"Merlin's beard. You don't do things the easy way do you, Rem." She whines, making him chuckle just as they reach the field.

From where they're standing, he notices Martin glancing in their direction and he lets out a breath. He realised, maybe this little game wasn't a good idea. If she figured that it was her, she might be weirded out or maybe he'd get in between of her happiness with Martin. He had to make sure she never figured it out.

"If it were easy, it'd be boring." He points out and she rolls her eyes, a smiling stretching on her lips.

"Fine. When do I get my answer?" Lorelei asks and he glances down at her. He smiles softly, taking a moment to admire her. Her hair was flowing with the wind, her eyes sparkled with amusement and curiosity.

"Since this is the beginning, I'll grant you one now." He muses and she grins happily.

"What house is she in?" She asks excitedly.

"Now that's just making it too easy." He says pointedly and she huffs.

"Okay, what is the colour of her eyes?" She asks another question.

"Brown."

"Th most common eye colour, really? There is between fifty-five and seventy-five percent of the world population with brown eyes!" She groans, making him chuckle and shrug.

"Good thing for you, you only have to focus on Hogwarts." He assures her and she huffs, before glancing towards her team. He looks in that direction as well to see Martin glaring at them. "Well, I should go. I have kept the team captain away for long enough."

"Will you come to the game tomorrow? We're playing Hufflepuff." She looks up at him hopeful.

"Sure. I'll be cheering you on." He smiles, making her grin.

"Great." She exclaims, before making her way towards the team. She stops again and turns around with a soft smile. "Oh, and whoever the girl is. She's the luckiest girl in the world."

He beams at her, feeling his heart flutter as he watches her run towards her team. His smile drops as she wraps her arms around Martin and he sighs, before making his way back to the Castle.