twenty

october 31st, 1975 - gryffindor commons

Remus leans back against the wall, trying to pretend he was paying attention to what the other person is talking about. In reality, his eyes would every so often drift to the door, waiting for Lorelei to walk in. It had been an hour already, yet still no sign of the blonde girl or even her friends.

He'd gone over to her shared room with Emily and Lesley, to help her pick out clothes that would work for their costume. He had been sitting in the middle of her bed, legs crossed, while she rummaged through her clothes.

He glances towards where he spotted Sirius, both making eye contact. And Sirius immediately knew what Remus was wondering, shrugging in response. Remus lets out a huff in response and tries to go back to the conversation. But that doesn't last long.

When he notices the flash of blonde appear from the corner of his eye, his head snaps in the direction and a smile stretches upon his lips. He excuses himself from the conversation, before making his way to Lorelei, who was looking around.

As their eyes meet, a smile forms on her blood red lips and he staggers a little as he finally takes her in. A silk chiffon was loosely wrapped around her neck, a beige beret hung slightly side ways on her head. She wore a beige pencil skirt, which accented her every curve and to top it off, she tugged in smoothly a long sleeved ivory turtleneck.

He hadn't even realised that he'd stopped breathing, his steps had flattered, his eyes widened and that she was the one who walked up to him. In his eyes, she was beautiful all the time, but she had taken his breath away right now.

"So what do you think?" Lorelei asks, breaking him out of his trance. He takes a deep breath, blinking a few times to regain his composure, making her giggle.

"You look... you look..." He couldn't find the right word, no matter how much he thought about it, not a singular word he knew, could describe how beautiful she looked. A soft blush tints her cheeks as she understands what he's trying to say and her heart flutters.

"You look handsome." She hums and he smiles softly, feeling his heart skip a beat. He wore a grey suit, which he had found in the very back of his closet and a black fedora, which he disregarded at the very beginning, feeling absolutely ridiculous in it.

"For a second I thought you weren't coming anymore." He says honestly and her smile drops. He frowns in worry as she silently fixes his tie.

"Martin tried to stop me from coming." She explains, once she drops her hands back to her side. He can feel his anger boiling his blood and she notices it, quickly shaking her head.

"Don't. Let's not think about it. Let's just enjoy tonight to the fullest. Please." She says softly and he sighs, calming down for her sake. He smiles softly, before taking her hand.

"Come on. Sirius mentioned something about a never ending supply of Firewhiskey, so let's just get wasted and forget all about your asshole of a boyfriend." Remus grins excitedly, making her laugh as she follows him through the crowd, to where all the bottles are.

Remus grabs two cups, pouring an equal amount of the liquid into each. He hands her one, before taking his own. She taps the rim of her cup against his.

"To an asshole boyfriend." She jokes, making him snort and shake his head.

"To the ones we really love." He says and a soft smile forms on her lips. Without delaying any further, they both throw their heads back, emptying the cups in one go. Lorelei clears her throat as she puts the cup down, trying to sooth the burning sensation of the alcohol.

"Did she come to the party?" She asks and he knows who she means immediately. He chuckles and nods.

"Did he come?" He asks and she grins, glancing towards the crowd, before looking back at him.

"Dance with me and you'll find out." She smirks and he rolls his eyes at her, but let's her lead him to dance floor.

Both of them get lost in the music, laughing and spinning around each other, letting go of any worry. Forgetting about her asshole boyfriend, who was waiting for her return; forgetting about their heart aching feelings for each other. All that mattered right then, was just them.

From the side of the room, Sirius and James are watching with knowing smiles, leaning against the wall as Emily returns with a cup in her hand. She turns to look at what they're looking at and snorts.

"When do you think they'll realise they like each other?" Emily asks the two boys, who shrug.

"Remus probably won't ever realise until she tells him. For one of the smartest guys in Hogwarts, he can be very clueless." Sirius hums, bringing the cigarette back to his lips and letting out a soft puff of smoke.

"And even if she realises, she'll be too scared to make a move." Emily groans, making James sigh.

"They're truly hopeless." James hums, before his attention falls on the redheaded girl on the other side of the room. "Well, my destiny is calling. Bye!"

"Talk about hopeless." Emily snickers, as they watch James run after the poor girl. Sirius chuckles softly, shaking his head.

"To be young and in love." Sirius muses, glancing down at Emily, who looks up at him. She raises an eyebrow at him.

"What?"

"Nothing." He smirks, looking back at where Remus and Lorelei are dancing.