fourteen

october 12th, 1975 - gryffindor dorms

Remus is staring at the ceiling, lost in thought. James had once again disappeared; Sirius was sitting on the window sill, staring outside mindlessly as he smoked and Peter was attempting to get his assignments done.

His mood had been a lot more gloomy since that day in the Great Hall with Marlene and Dorcas. Of course, it hadn't gone unnoticed by his friends, but they didn't dare to mention it and the full moon was coming soon. The more reasons not to try and annoy him.

"You'll never guess what I found out!" James exclaims as he slams the door open. Remus sits up to look at him in confusion. James shuts the door closed as he rushes to the centre of the room, all attention on him.  "Apparently Martin and a few Slytherin want to get Lorelei to leave the school."

"What?" Remus asks in disbelief, noticing Sirius stub out his cigarette as he puts all his attention on James' words.

"Something about her not being fully human. They've been planning this for two years. They're the ones who always start the rumours about her." James explains and Remus falls against his bed's headboard.

This whole time Martin had been manipulating Lorelei and making her seem like a monster to the school behind her back. While she thought she was happily in love with a great person, the truth was she was in love with the most vile of people. He'd rather have her date Severus Snape compared to Martin.

Worst part, wasn't that the rumours were just against her being Half-Veela, but that the only reason she was able to attend Hogwarts was because she seduced her way in. He'd been so horrified at the rumours and he couldn't even imagine what she had felt in those moments. He would have never imagined that the source of those rumours had been right next to her, this whole time.

"We can't let him continue this. We have to tell her." Remus says in panic, but Sirius jumps to his feet.

"Remus, stop. Remember what we said last time. We can't tell her anything without any proof." Sirius reminds him, but he simply shakes his head. 

"To hell with that, I can't let her stay with him." Remus snaps, making Sirius glance at James for help on the matter.

"When was the last time you talked to her?" James asks Remus, who frowns.

"A week ago, why?" Remus asks in confusion and James gives him a look.

"So you don't talk to her for a week. And suddenly you want to accuse her boyfriend? No matter how right we are, we are not close enough to her, so that she'd believe us over her two year boyfriend." James points out and Remus' shoulders immediately drop in defeat.

James was right, he'd been avoiding her this whole week, trying to figure out his feelings. Now, he couldn't just show up and say such things against Martin, not without proof. With sigh, he lets his head fall back as he closes his eyes in thought.

"We need to find a way to get to those Slytherins." James groans in annoyance and Sirius smirks as an idea comes to mind.

"I'm sure my dearest brother would not mind." Sirius says as his eyes glint with mischief.

"But we can't stand and not do something. What about Lorelei?" Peter asks, making Remus look back at his friends with a frown.

"Remus. Are you still down for operation seduce Lorelei?" Sirius asks with a wide grin and Remus gives him a look of annoyance. "Oh, come on. I know you're trying to figure out your emotions. But it's Lorelei. If you really wanted to let her go, you'd have done so long ago."

"I hate that you're right." Remus grumbles and Sirius snickers.

"Okay, so while Remus gets closer to Lorelei. We recruit Regulus and get as much evidence to go against Martin." James says, summarizing their plan.

"This is getting messy. What if we mess up?" Peter asks in worry, making Remus clench his jaw.

"That's why we can't mess up." Remus says with determination as he gets out of bed. Walking up to his closet and taking a chocolate out from where he'd stashed it. He needed something to destress. "You're right, Wormtail. This is getting messy."

"Once we start this, we can't back out." James points out, making them all look at each other.

"I'm in." Sirius says, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Absolutely." Peter says, before they all turn to look at Remus. He bites off a piece of chocolate, as he swallows it, he glances up at his friends.

"Without question." Remus says, making them smirk.

"This is a job for the Marauders. And we will solve it." James says excitedly, making Remus shake his head in slight amusement.