Chapter 39

Mom and Dad eventually brought Riley back along with Beth and Melissa after a couple hours, pretending to be none the wiser and hoping in some way that Josh and I had managed to patch things up

Mom and Dad eventually brought Riley back along with Beth and Melissa after a couple hours, pretending to be none the wiser and hoping in some way that Josh and I had managed to patch things up. Albeit, not in the way they had assumed, most likely being just a conversation and that alone.

We had been busying ourselves with cleaning up the kitchen and dining room, sending the occasional loose smile and comment whenever we crossed paths.

There was little discussion on what we'd done, opting instead to converse about it once we were truly alone again and not awaiting the swift arrival of our family.

"Mommy," Riley's voice appeared first through the door as she rushed through to find me, wrapping her small arms around my legs. I lifted her up as Josh kissed her cheek affectionately, daring rather close to my own. "Nanny said we left you and daddy to kiss again and make up."

"Riley," my mom followed in shortly behind her with her arms stationed against either hip, "what did we say about keeping that a secret?"

"It wasn't exactly a secret, mom."

She smiled nevertheless as I lowered Riley back down to the floor.

"Thanks for helping clean up you two," she signalled to Josh and I, "and I hoped it worked."

I shook my head with a laugh as Josh did the same, deciding to keep our escapades a secret until we knew what it truly meant.

In actual fact, I really didn't know what it meant.

There was obviously something on Josh's end preventing us from being together, notably in what I'd been informed about Luke, despite it being rather brief. He was tied over in ways I couldn't comprehend or understand and yet my own prevention was in the form of a man I now felt dreadfully awful about hurting.

Nathan was nice, he was someone I'd found myself falling for, and more importantly, he was my boss, and someone I couldn't escape from even if I tried. He didn't deserve the way I was treating him, which meant that I didn't deserve him.

Josh had still hurt me in an unimaginable way four years ago with barely an explanation to cover for it and here I was, falling into his arms again as if the pain I endured was almost enjoyable.

The rest of the evening flew by rather similarly, opting to play games with everyone like we used to for holidays. With Josh and I being together and with our families being so close, we'd always spent them together through the years. And yet with the abrupt end to Josh and I'd relationship, as did the family reunions.

In some way, I'd missed it. Even if Riley was now the main source of a connection through the both of us now.

"Come on Savannah, I've given so many hints already!"

I let out a small laugh at Beth's known competitive side showing as we played a rather heated game of charades, a game I was profoundly awful at. "No talking!" My mother shouted, equally as merciless in her game playing.