Chapter 15

Savannah James

Savannah James

"I thought you were meant to be good at this."

"Since when did I say that I was good at throwing an axe?" I giggled as I lifted another from the safety box between us.

For a date, this really took the cake.

Nathan had called me on Saturday night, asking if I was doing anything the following Sunday. And with Sierra and her boyfriend, Steven, being plenty willing to help out with Riley on short notice, I quickly agreed, needing to rid my memory of a man I had been attempting to forget about for years.

I'd spent all day fussing over what I would wear, wanting to make more of an effort than I did with Josh out of the sheer spite for him and for myself. He was a conscious reminder of what my life could possibly have turned into and after meeting him, I knew now that I didn't want anything to do with it.

His life wasn't fitting with mine and it shouldn't have been. There was a reason we were no longer together and regardless of whoever's fault that was, we were too conflicting to join together again.

Once I was finally dressed and Nathan was waiting for me downstairs, at my request, to keep anything rushing through Riley's mind this early on, I was wearing a simple combination of a spaghetti strap dress with a black denim jacket. Together, it looked perfect in knowing that this was most definitely, a date.

Nathan's idea of a date, however, was anything but usual. I saluted his ingenious and unique idea of a bar with an axe-throwing arena. The association itself between drinking and a potentially life-threatening game was terrifying to say the least, but with the rule of drinking only after finishing the game, I was strangely excited to play.

"You said you'd done this before, on a different date I'm assuming," I pondered before getting into the position we had been shown by the guide and throwing the axe forcefully towards its target, hitting just off of the centre of it in the process.

"I said I had been here, not that I was any good. And besides, it was with the guys I was with the other night. We thought this was just a casual bar."

"I'm impressed with the idea," I smiled as I stepped back up towards his towering height. He was smirking down at me as he made his way to throw his own axe.

"It was meant to be something I could use to show off my manliness, but I think it's pretty obvious that it's not working."

"It's not your fault you can't aim for shit."

After a few rounds of Nathan losing, he eventually threw in the towel and we favoured the idea of drinking rather than throwing a deadly weapon at a target for much longer. "Espresso martini?" He questioned with unrecognised spirit and a reminder of the first night we managed to get to know each other.