Chapter 31

Joshua Parker

Joshua Parker

We need to talk.

I'd been re-reading the message over and over again on my phone.

It had now been two days since I'd been back to the apartment to see Madison, one of those being spent with my ex-girlfriend and the mother of my child, the other spent with Harvey and Tyler after Riley's party.

I held my breath before typing back my scripted reply, one I had been planning on writing but avoided like the plague in knowing that once I sent it, I would need to take the action that followed.

I'll be home later and then we can talk

Her reply came quicker than expected.

I want to talk about it sooner

I was sat at my desk, closed off in my office, more specifically away from the prying eyes and ears of Luke Hunt, my fiancé's father, who would most likely already be informed of the very new information set upon his daughter.

The shrill ring of the office phone caught me off guard as I peered over at the bright red light flashing on top of the landline beside me. Running a hand through my hair, I came to realise that little had been done in the way of actual work today on my end, and this phone call would most likely just cement that fact.

I lifted the phone. "Josh Parker speaking."

"Mr Parker, it's Chloe from the main desk downstairs," I all but needed her to confirm her name with the sudden perk of her voice to my own. To most, my fiancé included, she was rather dull and uninterested in whatever they had to say, but to me, it was as if a light was shoved up her ass in the way she would smile with her words in my direction.

"Hi Chloe, how can I help?"

"Miss Hunt is here to see you. Shall I send her straight up?" At that, Chloe's voice turned dismissive.

I ran another hand through to the roots of my dark hair. "Send her up, thanks Chloe."

"Anytime Mr Parker."

When Madison had said sooner, she really did mean sooner. Although I hadn't anticipated her presence at my workplace, the one specifically that her father just happened to work at too. She would usually avoid being here at all costs, and yet the impending news I had laid on her a few days ago was now coming to light in the form of her invasion of my work day and most likely her own.

The minutes passed by as I prepared myself for the conversation we should have had as soon as I'd told her.

But at my confession in our apartment, there was little to no showing of her emotions, only her contemptuous hand and telling me to leave while she thought things over.