Chapter 21

I found myself gazing over to his table more times than what most would deem socially acceptable at this point

I found myself gazing over to his table more times than what most would deem socially acceptable at this point. His smile seemed genuine, but even I could see through his eyes like a glass, knowing that he was just as miserable as I currently felt.

Josh was never the easiest person to read. It was years until I finally began to understand how he was feeling just by finding his eyes alone, after that he was an open book. I knew when he was angry and when he was happy. I saw the hopefulness when he had spoke to me about Riley. But at this moment, there was darkness in his eyes, filled with more guilt than I could ever imagine to see.

"Vodka soda."

The two very important words from my lips were spoken to the bartender manning the small open bar in the back of the hall while most socialised towards the centre of the room. He sent me a haste nod before finding the bottles for the concoction I now needed more than ever.

Nathan was making his rounds, introducing himself to various entrepreneurs and explaining his newly found position in the journalism industry.

All the while, I had been sat in the very same seat, guzzling alcoholic drinks as if there were a task to be completed and that it included becoming more and more intoxicated as the night went on.

Luke Hunt had been laying low for most of the night, seeing as I hadn't yet been graced with his intolerable presence. His daughter, however, was dazzling the room as if she couldn't be admired any more than she already was.

I found there to be no ill feeling presented between the both of us in terms of how we should see each other. But I couldn't help the unease in knowing that she now laid beside the person I once shared a life with. She was the version of myself that I would look in the mirror and wish to see everyday.

She was everything I could never be.

The fresh drink placed in front of me was soon empty with the ice barely shrunk, having been drained quicker than I'd initially planned to.

"Something bothering you?" The voice was instantly comforting as I felt Nathan's harsh stubble beside my ear.

"Probably the fact that I looked exactly how you would have been, had I not come with you this evening."

We'd yet to make eye contact, but there seemed to be something incredibly sexy about the way his breath fanned down to my neck with his deep whisper causing shivers to crawl agonisingly slowly up my back.

"And what might you be drinking in order to remedy this loneliness?"

I finally smiled and turned to face him as he pulled up the seat beside me. I'd yet to admire how astonishingly handsome he actually looked tonight. He was donned in a perfectly fitted suit, ones you would see on main display in the windows of Armani stores, while his features were sculpted to perfection, craving my hands to run up and down his jawline.