Chapter 28

Joshua Parker

Joshua Parker

"Wait a minute," I held my knuckles up to my forehead with the drink in my hand, attempting to wrap it around what I was hearing right now, "you're back together?"

"If spending almost every evening and night together is what you call 'back together'" Harvey used air quotes as he spoke, "then yes, I guess we're back together."

"I never would've thought—the both of you again—" I was unable to finish my sentence with the sudden brush of history through my mind, mostly at the mention of Valentina rather than Savannah this time.

"Less likely than sharing a child with your ex-girlfriend?"

"Shut up man." I shoved Harvey's shoulder with a defeated laugh. "I'm happy for you, you were always good together."

"Thanks," he brought the beer bottle up to his lips and tipped it back, "but I guess the reason you wanted to meet tonight wasn't because you wanted to find out about my life."

"I'd rather you tell me all about yours before I can even start on mine."

"Let it out, Josh." He patted the table between us and took another swig of his beer bottle. "Tell me everything."

It was a Monday night, as little as twenty four hours after spending the day and evening with Riley and Savannah yesterday. Said evening, ending in much more than I'd bargained for when I told myself I'd be staying for a drink. My fingers stressfully ran through my hair at the thought of what I'd done and how stupid I'd been because of it. And the very concerning fact that I didn't actually regret it.

"I met Riley—" I shook my head in disbelief, "I still can't believe I get to say that. I actually have a kid."

"What's she like?" Harvey's eyes were deeply concentrated and I knew that he was just as happy for me as a best friend could be.

"She's the most beautiful little girl. I think she gets a lot of it from Savannah," I cleared my throat as an attempt to void the suspicion that Harvey already knew what I'd done, "she's so intrigued, she asks so many questions and just wants to know everything about everything. You'll fall in love with her when you meet her."

"And when might that be?"

"It's her birthday on Wednesday, I was invited to her party in the park and I'm assuming Valentina is invited, which basically gives you a plus one guarantee."

"I can't believe Valentina hasn't told me yet."

"It was never her secret to tell. Even Savannah's parents don't know I'm the father."