Chapter 37

"Let's not talk about this right now

"Let's not talk about this right now." Was the last thing I said before turning over in bed last night, pretending like his words weren't tearing my heart into pieces again, reminding me of our very real and unattainable connection.

When I woke up in the morning we were in the exact same position as we were the night before, with Riley having been previously situated in between us. Except that she was now nowhere to be seen, leaving an empty space I wanted more than I liked to admit.

Josh was still asleep when I lifted my tired body up from the bed, careful not to wake him when I threw on a sweater and tip toed out of the door, hoping to find Riley somewhere downstairs.

However, my heart swelled to double its size upon seeing her from the top of the stairs. She was wrapped up in a blanket, sitting politely on one of the breakfast bar chairs and talking rather animatedly to Beth and Melissa about something.

I stretched my body out as I descended the stairs and eventually reached them all. "Good morning," I said to nobody in particular before planting a swift kiss on top of Riley's head.

"Morning Savannah," Melissa spoke first, "Riley was just telling us about her friends at school in the city."

"Oh yeah?" I wrapped a comforting arm around my daughters shoulders and smiled in awe at her confidence. After just meeting Melissa and Beth yesterday, she was already talking their ears off and obviously still had more to tell.

"Coffee?" Melissa asked, to which I nodded as if it were the last drop of coffee on earth.

"I'd love some, thank you."

"Make that another." Josh's voice sounded from where I was once before, stepping down to kiss Riley's head himself like I did. "Morning sweetheart."

"Morning, daddy! Come look at what Bethy gave me," Riley launched herself down from the seat with little regard for her height before rushing over to the living room where there laid a large pile of toys I'd once remembered using while playing with Beth at that age.

"Thank you," I whispered to Beth before pulling her into a short side hug.

"I saw that Josh didn't sleep in his own bed last night," Beth added while Josh and Riley were out of earshot.

"Beth, don't be nosey!" Melissa scolded.

"You know," I squeezed Beth's shoulder, "you're just as bad as my parents. And it was Riley's fault; she suddenly decided last night that she couldn't sleep without us both."

"That'll be pretty difficult when you're back in the city, won't it?" Melissa winked and handed me my coffee.

"Thanks. And definitely not, it's just Riley playing her little matchmaking game."