Chapter 16

The most treasured part of my day was almost always the end of it, but not in the way that you would assume by just simply wishing it away

Finishing work meant picking up Riley from school, and seeing that little girl brought me more gratification than anyone else in my life. Today, even more than most, I was desperate to see her, helping to relieve a stressful day in more ways than one.

Firstly, Lionel and I had spent the entire morning working on a shared document, creating the final article draft on Hunt Industries. I could only write for so long before hating the repetitive typing of my ex-boyfriends name and painting him in a light I could no longer see him under.

Lionel was oblivious and relishing in the fact that he was writing his own article, which is why I was incredibly thankful for his request to take the lead and to send me the drafted article by tomorrow.

Secondly, I had spent a considerable amount of time in Nathan's office during the hours of the afternoon, but not for the reasons that you would expect.

"I received a phone call from Luke Hunt earlier," he confessed from the seat usually occupied by his father. Patrick was in the slow process of moving his stuff out, giving way to Nathan's new residence, a fact I was enjoying immensely already. "He wanted to know if he could be sent a first draft of the article and I said I'd ask you."

"Why does he need to see it?"

"You met the man, didn't you?"

"Unfortunately," I sat myself down onto the couch, "and it wasn't very pleasant." I was referring more to the scenario of that day in seeing Josh, but I wasn't about to mention seeing my ex-boyfriend to the person I was currently interested in.

"Then don't send him the article. I know how we do things here and I trust that the article will be factual and unembellished."

"That's the thing," I brought my nails between my teeth, "the facts we have and what we gathered from the transcript didn't paint Luke nor his business in the best lught possible."

"And you think he knows that?"

I shrugged. "Why else would he want to see the article before submission?"

"How bad is it?"

The article itself was nearing completion and looking to be unrivalled in the quality of writing, completed by both Lionel and I. However, the details were unsettling, mostly due to the fact that our own research into Hunt industries was quintessential in understanding what they did and who they were. The merger seemed to be painting white over black wallpaper, hiding the workings and accusations of a business with more complaints in a year than you would see over a lifetime.

"It's not great." I occupied my nervous hands with the hem of my dress, "Luke, of all people will not be impressed."

Nathan ran his fingers stressfully through his hair. "Well, we're journalists, not personal assistants to making Luke Hunt's life easier than those he has blacklisted. Leave it to me, I'll let him know that the article will be staying with us."