Chapter 35

Before I could decipher what Josh was talking about, he was leading me out through the back corridor towards a room at the end, adjacent to a large, beautiful bathroom my eyes managed to capture before focusing again on the closed door

Josh was still holding Riley, circling her back as he grinned and opened up the door.

What I had been expecting, was a simple guest room with maybe a smaller bed as to accommodate his daughter, but what I was ultimately amazed by was the exquisitely decorated child's bedroom, suited just for Riley.

The room was decorated purple and white with retro Disney movie posters framed around the walls, most notably the larger one for Alice in wonderland. The corner of the room held a bunk bed of sorts, being only a short ladder to a white bed with storage room and a small play desk beneath it.

Other corners of the room were decorated with various toys and books, something I knew Riley would have loved the minute she saw it all.

"Josh, this is—" he kept himself busy with sorting Riley out for bed as I simply admired the room around us, "this is incredible."

I was practically awestruck when Josh finally lowered Riley's snoozing body into the bed, only that I was too consumed by the bedroom to notice him tucking her in and kissing her head goodnight, an action that shouldn't have turned me on as much as it now was.

He shrugged his head to signal us to step outside as he shoved both hands into his pockets. I closed the door behind us before allowing him to lead us to the living room again.

"Drink?" He opened up what I had first thought to be a pantry, only that once opened, revealed a large, rustic wine cellar.

"Do you not remember how much of a bad idea that was last time?"

"I'm sure we can keep our hands off each other for one drink, don't you think?" He was smirking now, holding an unopened bottle of red wine in his hand.

"I'm good if you are."

He poured us both a glass before bringing it to me and sliding down onto the couch beside me. "You like the room?"

"I love it," I smiled upon taking a sip, "just make sure you go in and see her in the morning before she wakes up, I don't want her falling down those stairs because she doesn't realise they're there."

"One step ahead of you," he lifted his phone and unlocked it, scrolling to find something to show me before he turned his phone, presenting his list of alarms in the morning, starting at 6am.

"You've caught on to this thing better than I'd thought."

"Thing?"

"Being a dad, I mean."

He smiled upon thinking about Riley, I could only assume. "I didn't realise how much I'd love it. She means more to me than anything and I just didn't think I could love someone as much as I do. I don't know how I've only known her a few weeks."