Episode 6

"It was totally rad!" Reki screeched, having dragged Langa and I back into DOPE SKETCH to tell his manager all about how Langa managed to do an Ollie within only two weeks. Made me feel like a real loser, actually, but seeing how Langa smiled made it a bit better. I'd never seen him grin like that - and considering how mellow he is next to Reki, I wondered if maybe he had smiled and I just couldn't recognize it since Reki was so bright all the time.

But, in that moment, things seemed pretty perfect.

And now, I was back to browsing all these things I couldn't afford~

The bells wrung and I stood from fishing through the t-shirt rack. Even the manager cut off his welcome, and my eyes widened at the face. Everyone in the skating community knew him. I could hardly even remember his name, but I'd seen him before. My brother showed me pictures and told me he'd be the next best skater - something along the stupid lines of "He'll surpass me".

"Miya Chinen!" Reki announced, "The Japanese National Hopeful!"

"Hey, you there, run a beef against me in S."

I blinked, shocked at how straight forward he was. He was smirking too, like he looked down at everyone else. Actually, it was kind of annoying- and isn't that an elementary school uniform? I can't tell if someone purposefully being a spoiled brat is any better or worse than me, who was a foul mouthed brat just 'cause my uncle was.

Reki blushed, "That's out of the blue, and, you see I-"

I watched as the child strutted right past Reki to face Langa, "I have no need for slimes."

Wait- "Smiles?!" Reki and I gaped together, quickly making eye contact to silently share how offensive and unnecessary that comment was.

"I want to hear the ding of levelling up. It's been a while." Even though he was literally half Langa's size, he acted like they were the same height, the same age, and that he had years more of experience even though he didn't - even if Langa had only started using a real skateboard about a month ago.

"You're fine with it, right?" He asked, tilting his head in an annoyingly cute manner.

- team Joe or team Cherry? What is this twilight trend making a come back -

I had gone to S to watch others skate for the small time I've had the pin, until now, when Reki woke me up second the clock hit 9am and dragged me out with him and Langa to do some practice skating. Reki was laughing again, talking to Langa about stance and specific tricks. I was mostly just focused on studying the terrain. I would probably never be asked to skate a beef with anyone, though.

"You think you can use the Reki RSP-Maru here too?"

I quickly added myself into the conversation, because I'll be damned - Reki named Langa's board.

"What's that?" Langa asked.

"The name of the board! Reki Royal Straight Prince-Maru!"

Langa's face fell in confusion and annoyance, "That's so tacky. What do you mean 'Prince-Maru'?"

"I mean, the girls call you prince, right?" Reki asked, and I snorted as he glanced at me.

Last night, we talked for hours because I texted him to complain about how some of the girls in my class were talking about Langa like he was some kind of model god and calling him the 'gaijin prince' which was ridiculous. But even Erika said he was very attractive compared to other Canadian men, so it wasn't surprising to her - which only really made it worse. How ugly could Western men be?

"They don't." Langa insisted.

I slowed down to become level with Langa as Reki and I spoke, "I'm telling you, they do."

"They do not!" He retorted again.

I tensed as Reki almost fell from Miya rushing out in front of him. It was hard not to recognize him right away, small boy, giant sweater, and I couldn't think of anyone other than this little shit disturber that would pull such a dirty move like that.

"Hey!" Reki barked, "That's dangerous!"

"You know," Miya replied with a smirk, "Trash mobs are always grouped up."

"Did this little shit just call me trash-"

"Do your best with your buddy-buddy practicing."

"Hey you listen here kid, I am an exemplary example of pretty!" I yelled after him, and he rose a brow. That's right, take my self confidence you little shit, even in boys clothes I'm a fucking rock star-

"As if. You're the ugliest girl I've ever seen."

I straightened up, taking a deep breath, because god help me I was going to strangle this child.

"Hey, watch your mouth!" Reki stood up, bringing his board in front of him with his foot, Miya called him a slime once again and with a click of his tongue, he kicked off after him in an angry strut.

Langa and I glanced at each other, and kicked off to follow suit. But at their speed, we'd completely lost them for the moment. I sighed as I glared into the empty space in front of me. I totally blurted all that out back there, which is something I try to avoid because it only gives people the opportunity to retort. Last time someone called me ugly I got suspended for a day for punching them, and I was probably Miya's age too.

"They're still so far ahead." Langa began, and I glanced at him carefully.

Obviously they're still farther... oh. He said that to lighten the air.

"They're probably just doing some kind of 'who can one up who the most' contest right now."

"Are you good at tricks, Yuri?" Langa asked, and I sighed.

"I can Ollie, but I'm not the type to go all crazy like you or Reki. I love skating, but there's only one thing I've ever done competitions for."

"Really? What's that?"

My eyes lit up as I caught sight of Reki and I forgot what Langa said, "Hey look! There he is!"

And yes, there Reki was, up in the air and then - bam, on the ground, face full of dirt.

Of course this happened. You can't just do a trick right after seeing someone else do it for the first time. I skidded to a stop beside the groaning male and Langa kicked on the ground to catch up farther to Miya, shocking Reki and even myself a little bit.

Reki tried calling out for him, but he was already gone.

"It'll be alright, let him test out the new board." I assured, both myself and Reki. I knelt down and frowned at the male,

"You good?"

"Of course I am!" He replied, grabbing his board and getting ready to run after the two, "That little brat thinks he's better than everyone!"

"Yeah..." I mumbled.

Don't let that child get to you, Yuri! You totally asked for that rebuttal when you put your two sense in!

"Come on, Yuri!"

"Coming!"

-

When we got to Langa, he was on his knees and the one strap on his board had ripped from the pressure of his weight during a turn. Miya skated off with a scowl, and I felt oddly out of place standing behind Reki and Langa. I'd never be able to beat Miya when it came to skating, but I could definitely beat his ass on foot.

"Yuri, quit spacing out. Let's head back and fix Langa's board. Looks like we'll need something stronger for his feet."

I nodded, turning to follow the both of them. As we walked up and around to stay out of the skate road, I found myself staring at Langa's and Reki's backs as they conversed about what happened and how Langa was moving so Reki could adjust his board properly.

I glanced at my board, and the hands holding it. My nails were short and the skin around them had been damaged from my old bad habits of picking. I wasn't wearing any makeup, my hair was tied up and my messy bangs were pushed back with the same bobby pins I've been using since I was eight. These boys clothes made me feel confident. But, in the long run, do I really look like an ugly type of girl?

How is Reki supposed to like me when I'm like this?