Episode 25

The night of Reki's rematch against Adam was here. This time, I wasn't as worried and hesitant as the first time. I took a moment to pull Reki aside before it started, and he glanced around before looking at me.

"Is everything alright?" He asked.

I nodded, "Yeah. I just, well, you know. I wanted to wish you good luck."

"You could have done that before!" He chuckled, "U-unless, there's something else you wanted to do... to..."

"Well, actually, I am a little worried. But not as much as last time! I'm really rooting for you!"

He smiled, "Yuri, no matter what, don't stop cheering for me okay?"

I pursed my lips, "Of course!" And then, it fell when he turned to head back to Langa and the others and I hesitated, "W-wait!"

He blinked, "What is it?"

With extreme effort, and a hot face, I threw my arms out and glared at him as I spoke, "Y-you gotta hug me before you go!"

"Oh." He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me, as if silently reassuring me that a hug was never a big deal, and I shouldn't be afraid to ask. It was a big deal to me, though, and I was worried he didn't like it. But once we settled into the hug, he lowered his head beside mine and held me a bit tighter, and I was able to hear his heart beat pound against his chest, just like mine. 

"I'll be waiting for you at the finish line." I whispered, knowing he'd have to line up soon.

"Okay." Reki pulled back, and gave me a grin, "I'm gonna totally blow your mind!"

"Yeah. Show me a sight I've never seen before, Reki!"

-

"A slime can't win against an evil overlord!" Miya barked, still probably a bit traumatized from the last time Reki got hurt, and he even had to watch Koaru go down hard too. 

"Drop out immediately if things start looking bad." Kojiro added.

"It's not guaranteed that I'm gonna lose." Reki breathed a laugh, "Well, it's not guaranteed that I'm gonna win, either. But this time, I'm definitely not gonna back down. I don't wanna be disappointed in myself anymore."

Miya sighed, "'A born fool is never changed' they say." 

I rolled my eyes, and then felt like I'd caught on to Miya's bad behavior. I'd already had my moment with Reki, so I placed a hand on his shoulder and smiled to him before going after the youngest of our little formed group. He walked with an annoyed look for a few minutes towards the finish line, before his tense face faltered and he just looked sad.

"Aren't you worried too?" He finally asked.

I chuckled. When Reki first showed up today, Miya was happy to see him. I could tell - he tried to hide his emotions but his face gave everything away most of the time anyways. His whole face lit up when he saw Reki, but then when Reki told everyone he'd go through with the skate he put on his angry front.

"Of course I am. But, I really have a lot more faith in Reki this time." Looking down at Miya, glaring at the road ahead, I couldn't help but think about the first time when we met when he called me ugly. He did really take a big blow to my self esteem, but I never gave up - and now the boy I like likes me back.

"You should have faith in Reki too."

He didn't reply, and I let off. We walked silently together to the finish line.

The start of the race was nothing short of brutality. Actually though, what the hell - Adam was throwing Reki around like a rag doll and Miya could hardly take it. I could hardly take it, but I clenched my fists and felt my nails dig into my palms. I hardened my gaze and stood strong with Langa, because our faith hadn't been murdered yet - and nor had Reki's!

The 'red head' that no one knew the name of threw out all the tricks he could, even twisting to do a 'love hug' type motion. He hung on to Adam even when he was hitting him and he got a blood nose, and his forehead got cut from Adam's ridiculously fancy gloves.

Miya had tears in his eyes and was screaming at nothing, and then, the rain started. 

Reki's wheels picked up on the water and he raced down the track as Adam fell behind from the danger of skidding with the level of water. It fell down fast, and that fresh air filled my lungs, and I let the water seep into my skin. 

Adam managed to get ahead, just so he could knock Reki off his board just like he did to Kaoru.

But not yet, it wasn't over yet!

"You don't have to  take that hit!" Miya screamed, and he was right. Reki threw his jacket up and ducked away from the hit, his jacket catching the blunt of the swing as he kept down the track.
Adam stumbled and slipped on the rain, face planting in the mud. It was embarrassing, and exactly what he deserved.

The feeling I got from seeing that just overwhelmed me, knowing Reki completely threw Adam off guard and gave him a hit harder than any of us ever could. I cheered and grabbed onto Langa, shaking him as I watched the screen.

"The name's Reki! And don't you forget it!"

"Langa, Langa!" I gasped.

"W-w-ha-a-t--" He replied, his voice shaking from the movement of his body, but he just let me do what I want without much complaint.

"Look at him go! That's our Reki! That's my Reki!"

He laughed, and I turned from the screen only to see Kaoru burst out laughing too, making my brother grin.

"I know." Langa said, finally free from my light physical abuse, "I'm really happy too."

"Then you should show it more!"

"I'm not?"

I dead panned, "We'll work on it."

"There he is! The red head!"

"His name is Reki!" 

A shivering feeling ran up and down my arms, as Reki came through into the abandoned factory, the finish line in sight. I yelled out with Langa, cheering him on just as I promised I would. Reki was smiling and holding strong despite the blood on his face, and probably a burning feeling on his back from how Adam tortured him earlier.

"REKI!" I screamed, gasping, and Adam came in from behind, speeding to catch up with him. He was quiet and focused for once, more so than he ever seemed to be before.

Finally, he seemed to meet a challenge - the most unlikely challenge of all.

Reki's board snapped right before the finish line, but they both crossed neck and neck.
Unfortunately, Adam ended up being a few centimeters ahead, but no one was looking at him. Reki crashed and rolled to a stop, his wheel flew off and he didn't get up like Adam did, even if the pedophile creep was just huffing on his knees - at least we knew he was conscious. 

"Reki!" Langa and I yelled, sprinting over to check to see if he needed any immediate first aid. 
But, he just laughed. 

People were chanting his name, and he flipped over onto his back, sighing happily in relief.
"Skating really is super fun after all!"

Of course it is, idiot! I yelled in my mind, pulling out a tissue to wipe the blood off his face.

"Ow-ow- ah, thanks, Yuri."

"You really had us getting nervous." Kojiro began, and when I looked up at him I also noticed Miya rubbing his eyes - but I knew that if I said anything he'd probably go feral.

"I guess I'll alter my assessment of you." Koaru added, and Miya finally pulled himself together, scoffing,

"Not bad for a slime, I guess."

Langa put Reki's arm over his shoulder and slowly helped him on to his feet. Reki grunted and complained, saying he could walk, but we all knew his back was probably bruised to shit and he did have a head wound, so even if it wasn't a concussion we should still be careful for now.

"Was I cool?" Reki asked, turning to look at me.

I smiled, "You were the coolest!"

"Guys."

We turned from each other to Adam, slumping in his steps as he approached us. Langa and I stepped in front of Reki, and I stretched my fingers, preparing to throw a punch if necessary - because I would do it, I don't give a shit who he really is under that mask.

My brother stepped in too, though, one person Adam definitely couldn't stand against in a head on fight - words or fists. My brother was ruthless when he was mad, and I was just hella lucky his anger was never directed towards me. Him and Kaoru on the other hand, have had a real fight before - in the middle of the street, and I had never been more afraid.

"The beef is over." He said firmly.

"Joe said to me before, to never end up alone." Reki began. 

"You really think that a nobody like you successfully fought back like that?"

Snake stepped up, blocking Adam's view, "About the beef with Snow. I'm going to forfeit." He turned slowly, glancing back at us - at Langa, "He's the best suited... to help you regain your love."