Episode 22

Cherry getting smacked in the face by Adam's board was enough. My brother was worried sick, so worried he was frozen until Miya snapped him out of it with his worried cries.

They raced to get to him, and carried him to Shadow's car and then into the hospital. At this point, I wondered if some of the nurses realized what we were all up too.

Sitting with my brother in the hospital waiting for Koaru that night, seeing him just look into the distance like he never really had before, I really just wanted to beat the shit out of Adam.

Then, Shadow got attacked and ended up in the hospital too. Now there was an empty slot in the races that needed filling, and the suspension waiting for someone to fill that spot didn't really give off a fantastic vibe. I visited the hospital more than I thought I would.

Langa kept running after Reki, and I figured they would need their time alone. My brother was spending every second he could before opening his restaurant every day bringing Kaoru meals, and I really had nothing else to do, so I followed him. Miya started coming too, especially after Shadow got benched.

Today, Koaru was teaching me about the art of calligraphy, which I didn't ask for, it just kind of happened. He and Joe did have a huge comedy like bit that they usually do when they talked to me about how to confess to Reki, and he did start lecturing me about love first, and that somehow became calligraphy. It wasn't all that bad, other than that it was boring, but it reminded me of my brother when he was working towards his current profession as a chef.

"Yuri, try this!"
"Aniki, I love food and all, but don't put the plate right on my English textbook, please."
"Oh come on, you suck at English anyways."
"I do not!"

When Kaoru paused, I took the chance to ask him if he wanted anything to drink. He requested more water and I finally took my escape. I walked slowly off to the vending machine, my legs feeling heavy from sitting for so long, but Miya's cute middle school uniform snapped me out of my dreading thoughts about having to continue to listen to Kaoru lecture me like some old professor.

"Miya?"

"Yuri." He replied, his eyes hard, but he seemed to look weaker than usual, "Why do you like someone like Reki?"

I blinked, "Well... I guess, theirs a lot of things that I like about him. I like how I feel when I'm around him... all that combined just means I like Reki."

"But why?! He left us!"

"Well... he didn't... It's kind of hard to explain, but he's just going through some things-"

"That doesn't make any sense! He could have talked to us!"

I smiled sadly, weirdly glad to see him letting himself be a kid in front of me of all people, "Reki think's he's a burden. He doesn't want to talk to us because he doesn't think we'll understand. Maybe that's just how he is right now, we're still kids too after all."

"Don't try and act all smart."

I sweat dropped. Did I sound like that? Jeez-

"I hate him! I hate him for doing this! He's a liar- a lying slime! You should break up with him!"

"Wha- Miya!" I turned as he ran past me, turning the corner towards the bathrooms.
I relaxed my shoulders and took a deep breath, sighing as I thought about what just happened.

What a brat.

Well, I shouldn't call him that, he has every right to be upset.

But- why'd he tell me to break up with Reki? We're not even dating yet!

I hung my head. 'Yet' as if I can predict that he'll want to go out with me after my extravagant confession that my brother talked me into. But, I can't let myself lose confidence now.

Reki will pull himself together and find the answer to the question he's asking sooner then later. He'll make up with Langa, and then it's my time to shine. Then, I'm sure everything will be okay with Miya. Reki's gonna owe him, that's for sure.

I moved to head towards the vending machine again, pulling out my coin purse from my sweater pocket. If I actually knew for sure, if I really believed Reki had left us for good like Miya did right now, I wouldn't have given him time. I've never been the passive type, after all.

If Reki really was breaking that promise that he made, then I would have punched the living day lights out of him by now.

-

I got a call from Langa when I was in the bath at around 9PM.

"Hey, Langa. What's up?"

"Hey, Yuri! "

My eyes widened and I sat up straight in the tub, "R-Reki?! Is that you?!"

His laugh answered my question, and I rose a hand to my cheek as I grinned,
"He came to me, and we made up." Langa explained, his voice cheerful, "I thought I'd call you. Want to meet us at the park? "

"Langa told me all about how you guys teamed up to make up with me." Reki added, "I wanted to see you and officially make up with you too."

Right now? A-am I ready right now? I asked myself, my heart racing. Did it matter? Because I've never missed someone this much.

"I...I'll meet up with you guys! Wait for me- because-"

There was a pause, "Yuri? Because?"

"Well... I-I'm in the bath."

"EH?!"

"I see." Langa cleared his throat, "We'll wait for you then. Reki, why is your face so red?"

"What- IT IS NOT-"

"It is. Heh. Are you em-"

The call suddenly ended, and I moved it from my ear and stared at it. After a second, I breathed a laugh, and quickly stood to get dressed and head out. I almost slipped on the floor trying to get to the door to get my towel, and then after pulling on my sweats I ran out to my room.

What the hell was I supposed to wear?! I asked, "I can't wear sweats to a confession!" I groaned, running my hands through my wet hair.

Okay, think- we planned this!

Right, well, I'll have to dress warm or I'll catch a cold going out at night with wet hair. I thought, my mothers voice scolding me in my mind. I grabbed some leggings and the dress my brother got me, then threw on a thin zip up sweater and my dad's old wind breaker over top.

I raced down the steps and into the kitchen, asking my mother for some sweets.

"Why do you need those all of a sudden?"

"Mom." I stood straight and faced her head on as I held the bag of cookies, "I'm going to do something crazy."

"W-what?" She stuttered, face paling.

"I'm gonna do a Kokuhaku for the boy I like!"

"Right now?"

"Right now!"

She blinked at my enthusiasm, and then breathed a laugh, "Well then, good luck, Yuri-chan! I know he'll love it!"

"Yeah! Thanks, mom!" I waved to her as I moved from the kitchen to the front, shoving on my boots and grabbing my board, running down the street to the park.

This was my moment, not just to confess to Reki, but to prove to him that all those girls that talked shit about him having nothing to do with how I view him! I'm gonna boost his ego so high, higher than Langa could in making up with him, higher than a crowd of fans - I'm going to show him, that I'll love him more than anyone else will!