Episode 8

I jumped out of the car and sprinted forward, shoving my way through the crowd and bending forward to watch as they skated side by side through the finish line mark. And from my side view, Langa was at least a foot in front of Miya. His crazy railing trick with his new board and his extra body weight compared to Miya's managed to propel him farther enough to beat the Japanese national hopeful even though they were neck and neck. 

"Langa!" Reki cheered, running up to the male as I walked forward, the red head jumped and threw his arms around his best friend, "You're so awesome!"

Langa frowned from the embarrassment and I smiled up at him, "That was one epic skate, Langa."

The male smiled lightly, but Reki was already on the ground fawning over the board he'd made for Langa, complimenting it far more than he complimented Langa. Jeez, you'd think the board was some kind of animal or something the way he was cooing at it.

"I was the one skating!" Langa grumbled, and I covered my mouth as I laughed at how he seemed jealous of his own skateboard.

"Your skating was even more awesome!" Reki suddenly said, making me freeze up.

Oh no, now I'm the jealous one.

I turned from the two to try and ignore that vaguely gross feeling of jealousy and my eyes landed on Miya, who stared at his feet, mumbling, "To think I would lose."

Reki seemed to hear him too, and stepped up beside me, "I can tell you why you lost." 

Miya shot up with an angry look, "What did you say?"

"Skating is something you have fun doing."

"Fun?" He retorted, his fists shaking, "It was fun. It was really fun, actually, in the beginning. But... everyone disappeared. The better you become, they all disappear in the end anyways!"

Ah, jeez, not all this making me feel bad for the kid who called me 'the ugliest girl he'd ever seen' the other day. But it can't be helped, he's thirteen, everyone of us goes through our crisis of sadness phases at that age. Most of us have someone or something to help us through that, though.

I blinked as Reki flicked Miya's forward, the sound even echoed slightly - how strong are his fingers?

"Ow! What the hell are you doing?!"

"Are you stupid?" Reki asked, making the boy gasp in bewilderment, holding his head, "Not everyone's gonna be like that."

"Miya," Langa called out with a smile, "It was fun. Let's skate again sometime." 

"We'll never disappear from your sight." Reki mumbled as he looked down at Miya, but I was close enough to hear. 

I'll be holding you to that. I thought, even if I'm not the one you said that to. Reki... don't ever disappear from my sight either.

Miya turned away from him, "You're weak!" He suddenly said, his voice cracking, "You'd be no match against me! I bet even the girl is better than you!"

My eye twitched as he referred to me. Dammit. That's such a good insult because... I am not better than Reki. 

"Don't get so cocky just because you're a little better at tricks." 

"Shut up, slime."

I held my disappointed look as Reki grabbed the boys cheeks, squeezing them and saying "gooey" in a funny voice with a ridiculous face to attempt to lighten the mood. Miya cried and wailed but he didn't stop, and my frown turned into an open mouth of weirded out shock... and then, slowly, the corners of my mouth kept twitching upwards.

"Reki, you have a weird face - ah, you always do." Langa began, also looking to the male in slight disgust.

"HEY! What did you just say?!"

The laugh came out, and I quickly put a hand over my mouth to try and stifle it.

"Nothing."

"You said I had a weird face!"

"I said 'unique'." 

I clutched my stomach as I cried out laughing, 'unique' - Erika taught me about that word a while back when she was struggling to find a Japanese equivalent to talk about what she thought of Lolita styles. 

"Don't try to fool me with some fancy English word! Yuri, stop laughing!"

Miya started laughing too, and I took deep breaths to recover myself, stepping up to Reki and poking his cheeks, "Unique face~"

"Hey."

"Skating should be fun." I froze, as did everyone else, and the old warehouse got so quiet so fast I wondered if everyone else was still even there. 

I slowly moved my hands back from Reki's face as he continued to speak, "You have quiet a good quote there."

The man moved forward and into the light, and the whispers got louder. Miya mumbled his name, and I swallowed. Adam?

"You mean, the legendary?!" Reki cheered and his eyes sparkled as he looked at the male all dressed up like another vampire hybrid. 

"You're all empty again now, Miya." He spoke, and when I looked to the kid, for the first time, I saw honest hurt in his eyes, "Friends, skating... you at this point, have nothing left."

Okay, the kid was a fucking jerk, but that was uncalled for. Is this blue haired masked whack-job decorated trash can the reason he's so full of himself and looking down on others, but sad at the same time?! How dare you purposefully give someone a sad backstory!

I narrowed my eyes as this 'Adam' turned to Langa, "Anyways, I took a look at your skating. It was brilliant! But it will be even better if you fix how you shift your body weight." He exclaimed, skating around Langa with a creepy smile, "For instance, during an Ollie, take your foot..."

My eyes widened as the man took a step a bit too close, kneeling down and moving his hands up and down around Langa's leg. He asked if he could touch him, the pit of my stomach suddenly felt painfully empty... or full, or both - either way I was nauseous. 

"Hold on a second." Reki growled, his bright eyes dark, "Take back what you just said."

Adam smiled, "What if I said I wouldn't?" 

"I'll have you take it back," Reki stated, kicking up his board into his hand and holding it up, "With this!"

My face fell as the crowd erupted, screaming, because of course they would - Reki just fucking challenged Adam, who already looked like the pro of the pros. With that creepy attire, I assume he's some crazy successful man with an undeniable skill with skating, and years on top of years of experience towering over Reki. 

"If I win, you have to apologize to Miya!"

"Don't sympathize with me!" Miya quickly yelled, "I'm totally fine. It just means I'm going back to the beginning." 

I clenched my teeth. Miya didn't get it... he was really being manipulated by this guy, and that only made us all want to go through with this more - especially Reki. Even though, personally that guys face scared the shit out of me. 

"I'm not sympathizing. I just absolutely hate guys like him! Hey, say something! Aren't your ears sticking out of that mask?!"

"If emotions could be seen by the eye, what shape would they be? I believe it will be a spring. That spring will have differing amounts of water on the occasion."

"Don't change the subject! I-"

"My spring is completely dry. Because I don't have even one millimeter of interest in you. But..." He skated back, moving around Langa again.

Jeez- just leave him alone already!

"Good. You're good. It flows out, it gushes out, that's right!" He stopped short, holding Langa's face in his gloved fingers, I almost sprung forward to kick his balls in, "The prize of this bet shall be you! If I win, you will skate with me next time. How's that?"

"Okay."

My hand shot to my forehead as Reki cried out, and I took a deep breath. Here we go again.