Episode 16

I just wanted to make a quick authors note and say hello! I don't usually do this in my stories, but I want to thank you for all the support. I write fan fiction mainly for myself, for fun and for my mental health. Writing these OC's into these stories makes me feel like I get to live a bit of what they're living, and it makes me happy. 
This is one of my first OC's, Yuri. I don't usually do digital colored art, but for once I figured it'd be nice to show my readers a picture of my OC. No matter how you read this kind of fanfic, please take my work and use it to make you feel better whenever you are sad. 

- Commence! Special Long Episode! - 

"What's she doing over there?"

I hummed to myself, ignoring the fact that I could hear the others even though they thought I couldn't. I was kneeling by the edge of the water and looking around for some sea shells, slowly scanning the sand after each wave came through. Langa was passed out back on the blanket and Miya was busy trying to beat his game, after making Kojiro lose his ambition for the day. 

The sun was still high in the sky, but I knew we'd be heading back soon because of how exhausted everyone was. 

And yeah, maybe I almost fell asleep just looking for shells, but we'll ignore that.

My eyes glimmered as I saw something, and my hand shoved out to grab it before the water covered it. Bringing it up and washing it lightly, I smiled at how good my find was. 

"Reki!" I yelled, waving from where I stood. The male stood and stretched as he walked over to me, his hooded tank top zip up now on over his bare chest.

"What's up?" 

"Look, I found this shell! Isn't it cool?"

He blinked, leaning forward to study it for a second, "Oh, yeah, I guess it's cool."

I frowned slightly, "You... guess?"

He sputtered, quickly clearing his throat, "Well I mean- I-I like the color! H-how did you even find a good shell like that? All the other ones are broken or tiny!"

My smile came back and he let out a breath of relief, "Yeah! I looked really hard for it! Imma bring it back home for good luck."

He sighed as he knelt beside me, knees to his chest just like me, "You think it'll bring good luck?"

I shrugged, "Why not? Anything can be good luck for a person. Mom says it's not about the object, but about how much faith we have in it. If we believe we'll be lucky, then we will."

He rose a brow, "Is that... really true?"

I looked at him carefully, the shell rested in my hand and I turned to the sky to forget about the memory of him smashing off the ground two weeks ago. Maybe he believed in himself then, but it was futile all the same. You can say all you want, and believe all you want, but sometimes it doesn't work.

"I guess, that's all just part of luck too?" I theorized, and Reki breathed a laugh at how confusing it all was.

He moved to slip off his shirt, "Here. You're back is gonna burn if you keep sitting out here like this."

I took the sweater and slipped my arms through it, thanking him. He moved to head back to our spot and I blushed as I stared at the shell, glimmering in the sun light. Maybe this little thing really is good luck after all.

-

"What the hell is that?"

"Your outfit for dinner!"

I sighed heavily. One second I'm sitting happily in Reki's sweater and the next, my brother is forcing me to change. He knows I like Reki. He knows I'm having the time in my life having been gifted a piece of Reki's clothing, and yet he's forcing me to put on something all cute.

Actually... maybe dressing cute and girly could be a good opportunity for me. 

"Alright, fine."

When I was dressed, and after a short argument of whether I should leave my hair down or up, we headed over to the old inn Reki and the others were staying in to pick them up for dinner. As we walked down the hall to their room, I noticed Langa standing outside the washroom with his head down. I rose a brow, and then let Kojiro know I was going to fetch him before walking towards him.

"Langa? Are you okay?"

"Huh?" He jumped, and looked me up and down, "Who... wait - Yuri?!"

I placed a hand on my hip, "Yeah. I'm asking if you're good. Did something happen?"

-I'm sorry I'm dying I can't get over the way he made the sign of the cross before opening the bathroom doorroorooi ahahhhhhhhhh-

"W-well..."

I glanced inside the bathroom, that already didn't look good just from the outside. I thought for a moment, and then it clicked, "Oh... it's a traditional Japanese toilet, isn't it?"

"Yeah..."

"So, did you use it?"

"No. I didn't know how."

"Good. If you ever see one, just turn around and walk the other way. Even I find them creepy."

"Okay."

"There you are!" Langa turned at the sound of Reki's voice, and I followed his gaze, "What took you so long? Oh..." Reki trailed off, a blush appearing on his cheeks,  "W-who are you?"

My shoulders slumped. A horrible thought dawned on me then. I really... I really had been bro-zoned in the end, hadn't I?

"I-i-i-it's me Reki!" I insisted, "It's me, Yuri!"

"O-o-o-oh! I-I didn't even recognize you?! Since when do you wear... dresses?"

I crossed my arms, my cheeks were probably beat red, "My brother bought this for me because we're going out for a fancy dinner."

"R-right! Well. You look good." 

Now, my neck was hot too, "You think so?"

"O-of course I d-"

"Can we go now?" Miya called out, "I am hungry~!"

Reki snapped his head over to the annoying child, and even I wanted to hit him, "Yes, we're going!"

-

Sitting here, I felt like I had to keep my back straight. Kaoru was the only one who didn't look like a delinquent right now, and in these clothes I felt like I definitely couldn't act like one either.
Besides, Koaru's always made me feel intimidated in a way that made me want to behave better.

Maybe it's cause he's so... elegant?

Shadow was crying and yelling, hugging my brother and calling him 'manager' and I cringed as I wondered what he might be hallucinating about. 

Miya sighed for the millionth time, "What's so good about alcohol anyway?"

"Little boys might not understand." Reki replied, reaching for the sake, Kaoru smacked his hand with his fan in one swift movement and I sighed in relief. 

It be even more horrifying if he got drunk too.

Kaoru cleared his throat as Langa brought Reki his skate board to check on it. I stared at Reki for a second too long, glancing over Kaoru's body, Miya sipping his juice on the other side of me. Even though Reki acted like nothing had changed, ever since Langa's skate with Adam... I noticed his eyes would drift every once and a while. 

It sucked, because I wanted to make Reki happy but nothing ever seemed to work for long enough. 

"You look lovely tonight, Yuri-chan." Koaru complimented, and I snapped back into reality.
"Oh, thank you. My brother picked this dress out for me."

"I see. It's good to know he has a decent sense of fashion. At least, for young girls, anyway."

I sweat dropped as the male glared at my brother, who finally got free from Shadow and ran off.

"By the way, today is supposed to be some special day." Miya began.

"Of what?"

"Supposedly, it shows up."

I blinked and Reki leaned forward, "'it'? You can't mean-" Reki scoffed a laugh, "That's ridiculous." 

"I heard it from the hostess just now." He turned with dead eyes and I held back a screech, "She said that "today is a special day, so please do not walk around after sunset"."

"Right, right, you don't have to tell me." Reki replied, standing, "I have nothing to do outside."

"Reki?" Langa called as the male walked out, claiming he was just going to get a drink. 

I frowned, and cast my eyes back to my fiddling thumbs in my lap. He was probably going to mope over something again. Should I walk after him?

Ah, what's the point? He's just going to pretend to be fine again!

You know what? Fuck it.

"I'm going to the washroom." I spoke gently, and even Miya looked up from his drink. 

"Yuri." Koaru called when I was just about gone, and I placed my hand on the door frame.

He didn't speak right away, so I turned around, and they were all looking at me carefully. I swallowed, a little freaked out.

"Make sure to speak your feelings clearly."

I blushed, but I couldn't over react or yell. I nodded lightly and quickly walked off down the hall to where I knew the vending machines were. Was I really so far gone now, and so open about it, that I was going to seriously take that kind of poetic advice? 

Well, it's not like he's wrong. 

I walked quietly along the hard wood floors, and peaked around the corner towards the vending machines. There he was, staring at the selection like choosing between one coke and the other was actually a serious activity. I smiled for a minute just being able to see him, but then it faded when I noticed he wasn't smiling at all. 

I moved around the corner completely, "Reki." I called gently, and he snapped his head up to me.

"Oh. Hey." He sighed as he smashed his finger on a button, finally, "What are you doing here?"

Be... be honest. Be HONEST.

"I was following you." 

Oh my god. It sounds so fucking creepy when I say it out loud. 

"Why? I really am just going to get a drink."

I sighed heavily, "No you're not. You're going to get a drink and then look all depressed alone in the corner thinking about how you're the odd one out who's not as talented as everyone else or something."

"Wha-"

"Look, Reki. You're..." I hesitated, feeling my heart rate pick up, but I couldn't give up now, "You're amazing. You don't realize it, but everyone looks up to you. I... I love hanging out with you, and so does Langa and the others. Langa wouldn't be great if it weren't for you, either-"

"How do you know?" He interrupted, clenching his fists, "How would you know if he wouldn't be good even without my help?"

"Don't be like this, Reki." I frowned, stepping forward, "I'm being honest with you. I watched you make his board, and accommodate to his every need. He was inspired by you, we all are. You're like the... the... the light of the group that keeps everyone together and happy!"

Jesus christ it's so fucking hot in here. 

"A-a-a-and so," I coughed out, "If you're not happy, then I won't be either. You're a great skater, and we're all still learning, so don't beat yourself up!"

"I-I-I'm not." He whispered, though when I finally looked back into his eyes he didn't seem super genuine, "Jeez." He exhaled, a sad smile on his face, "You're always running after me to cheer me up, when I haven't done anything for you."

My eyes widened slightly. That's not-!

Oh. Maybe it was. I really was always doing what I could for him. Running to hang out with him, to get him snacks, following him and the others even if I end up being some kind of talkative seventh wheel. But it all seemed worth it, if I got to hang out with Reki.

I reached forward and touched his wrapped hand, holding it in a gentle grip, "What was it you said that day? I'll never leave your sight." I smiled, and it didn't really matter if he found out in that moment at all, "I'll never quit skating, and I'll never leave you behind. I love hanging out with you too much, okay?" 

He smiled back, genuinely, and his fingers gripped onto my hand as much as they could, "Yeah."

Extended Ending

Last night, apparently these fools went out after dark to find some fancy hot spring on the mountains while I had decided to get a good nights rest . I was also the only girl there, so it's not like I could bathe with them anyways.

Now, they all smelled like garbage and kept shivering as they debated what the hell the monster was they saw last night.

"Are you sure you guys didn't all just have the same weird nightmare?" I asked.

"You have to believe us Yuri! Mud monsters! They're REAL!"

I scowled, "Ew- you still smell!" Reki slumped back in his seat with a pout, and I hid my smile in the magazine I was reading, "It's cute that you're scared of ghosts, though." I whispered.

"What the heck are you whispering about?" He dared to ask, glaring at me as he stuck his face right next to my magazine, "You're making fun of me!"

"Nooo- AH! Don't- don't- get away from me! You smell like a swamp!"