Chapter 3: The Autumn Sun

"You said if I fall you'd be there to catch me. I believed you until I hit the ground." ~ Robert Schuller

- - -

Sweat trickles down the back of my neck as I sprint towards the decaying building, my breath escaping my chapped lips in ragged pants and I wince with every step as my lungs burn. I arrive at the old farm, where I once worked when I was a child, in about half an hour. It's around noon and the autumn sun is high in the silky blue sky.

I'm just about to open the oak door when I notice it's already ajar, my jaw clenches tightly and I let out a hitched breath. I can hear paced shuffling around inside- I grip my knife tighter and cautiously sneak through the gap with my heart hammering against my chest. A grubby body stands hunched at the shoulders and I stiffen rigidly, silently approaching the figure, I'm just about to let the knife fly when I notice the complexion.

The skin is a tanned golden colour not grey and peeling like that of the infected, the hair is a dirty blonde colour and it's not matted with thick blood. The figure is familiar, I recognise it but I still grip my knife. I can't trust anyone anymore, who knows how others have dealt with the apocalypse. 

"Are you trying to give me a heart attack, Madeline?" they yell, spinning on their heel to face me. 

"Josh!" I shout and launch myself into his strong arms wrapping mine tightly around his neck as he stumbles back unexpectedly. I've known Josh since I was five years old and we have always been untouchably close, always there for each other through the hardest of times.

"Hey? Are you ok?" he asks with concern when I still haven't let go. I nod my head into his shoulder and he chuckles. But then, I start to feel the irritation seep into my veins and my cheeks begin to burn uncomfortably. I push away from Josh, my arms folding across my chest defensively. 

"Where were you then?" I ask bitterly, my eyes narrowing scathingly.

"W-what," he stutters- clearly aware of my mood swing, confusion visible on his face as he tries to gage my new attitude and the reason behind it.

"Where were you, I needed you whilst I was stabbing zombies and trying to stay alive all morning! WHERE WERE YOU?" I yell sharply.

"I was here waiting for you," he replies calmly, his eyes darkening slightly as they glance around the warm room.

"Oh and you just guessed I would be here did you? You didn't think I would be at home, asleep like any other normal person?" I bite sarcastically, my heart racing with anger.

I see him grind his teeth and suck in a sharp breath before looking down at my trembling body. 

"I tried to get to you, I really did, but the evacuation had already started and they wouldn't let me back into the town. Then the zombies came, tearing people apart and I had no choice but to run, I would have died, Madeline!" he says in exasperation.

He looks at me, silently pleading, his arms stretched out towards me, before continuing.

"I know you love this place and you've always felt safe here, I guessed that you'd come here after you figured it all out and I knew you'd be safe because you're a fighter, Madeline. You are strong and brave and talented- you're a survivor," he says softly. 

I sigh and my eyes brim with tears, my throat aching as I breathe deeply.

"I'm sorry," I apologise, "you didn't deserve that, it's just all too much," I whimper.

"Hey, it's alright, we're here together and we'll finally be safe now," he coos, I feel better when I'm with Josh. We can get through this together like we have so many times before.