Chapter 19: The Tear Streaks

"Tears stream down your face, when you lose something that you can't replace." ~ Coldplay

- - -

We finally make it to the edge of the jetty and we stare up at the boat longingly, we need to move now- there's no time to think. 

"Right, Sophie go!" I say hurriedly and push her against the railings, taking Ashia from her arms. "You need to jump first and then I'll pass Ashia up to you..." I trail off and she nods her head, crouching down before springing forward and grabbing onto the ferry. She yelps when her hands slip on the wet metal and I lunge forward screaming, she groans in frustration and I stand helpless.

Finally, she hauls herself over the top and I breathe a deep sigh of relief, I nod to Amelia and she grabs my arm- lowering me over the murky water. I raise Ashia in my arms and pass her to Soph who's leaning dangerously over the edge, I smile when she's safe and pass Jaz up too, but my smile instantly it falls when I remember the task ahead. Amelia and I push Maria up next and she grips on the edge tightly, I see Soph grab her arms firmly and she disappears over the edge as well.

I turn around and see the zombies right behind us, glancing anxiously to Amelia.

"We need to move now!" I shout and she glances behind her, "go!" I order but she shakes her head.

"I'm not strong enough, I need you to go first and pull me up," she explains and I curse before agreeing.

I'm about to jump when I hear a shriek from behind me, I turn around just in time because the zombies are on us. I pull out a knife and slice through them quickly, Amelia doing the same. The zombies aren't giving up but I think I see a break in the herd- that's all we need. We get through the last infected before I turn around, I  jump across the rough waters and hit the boat with an echoing thud- screaming in pain as my rib smashes against the metal. I try to move but shooting pain snaps through my side, I raise an arm but it slips feebly and I swing back towards the water.

I grunt in pain and whimper as my fingertips loosen, tight hands wrap around my wrist and I look up to see Sophie and Maria tugging at my arms. I push myself up with my legs and soon I'm over the edge, I take a deep panting breath before turning to Soph and Maria.

"Soph go and take Ashia to Josh, Maria check the levels for any zombies. I'll help Amelia up, go quickly!" I say frantically and lean over the edge as they disappear. I see Amelia on the edge of the pier glancing around frantically, the zombies are almost on her and I know she must jump now.

"COME ON!" I shout and she lurches forward, I wrap my hands around her wrist and tug hard. She moves towards me when a sudden weight nearly pulls me over, I fling one arm out and catch myself but my rib aches in protest. I hear her scream and see a zombie attached to her ankle, I shriek in horror and can only try and pull frantically.

I hear a pain-filled whimper and look down with a panicked expression, the zombie sinks its teeth into her ankle and she screams deafeningly. "NO AMELIA! NO! PLEASE NO!" I scream as tears stream down my face, she kicks her leg and the zombie slips into the water. I try to pull her up but she just stares at me. "Amelia come on!" I fret but she just shakes her head sadly.

"I'm sorry, I can't put you in danger like that," she whispers and I shake my head wildly.

"No, the cure will save you again," I blubber questioningly but she just smiles sadly and shakes her head. A part of me knows she's right, the zombie's venom having evolved too much and rendering the cure useless.

"Madeline, this world will break you if you let it- you have to be strong," she whispers.

"NO, I AM NOT LETTING YOU GO!" I scream and she laughs lightly but pained.

"I know you won't..." she trails off as my tears fall into the ocean, "so I will," she says and frees her grip from my grasp. I scream and grapple at the empty air but she just stares at me whilst falling, before the depths drag her under.

"Amelia," I cry out but I know it's too late, I hear a sickening crunch and the water turns scarlet. I flinch and turn away, sinking to my knees. I sob violently and tears streak down my face, my hands trembling.

I start to scream and I rock back and forward in a protective crunched position, my breathing is ragged and my throat is raw. I think I shattered my rib when I collided with the metal frame but the physical pain is numbed by the grief and the notion that it's all my fault. I started this, all of it. I made the virus that killed them and now they want to kill me. I drew them here and now Amelia is dead because of me, I killed my best friend.

How many others will I kill? Maria? Sophie? Josh? Ashia? They're all in danger whilst they're with me, it will only be so long before I cause another death. The zombies are after me, I know that from the one at the campsite. They're all coming for me, they want blood. My blood.

I stand up shakily and stare out across the ocean, I need to stop this.

I draw a blood-stained knife out of my boot and stare at it obsessively, I look at my reflection in the blade and frown. The girl is broken, she may as well be dead. It would be better if she was dead. Anger floods through me and I push the knife away from me, it spirals through the air and blood slides down the blade. It hits the ocean with a small splash before disappearing completely from sight, just like Amelia.

I stare across the docks numbly and see a few zombies running towards me. I flinch and back up slightly, moving away from the threat. My heart sinks and I let the tears run freely down my cheeks. Let them come, I think. I will murder every single one of them. I smirk at them maliciously and crouch forward menacingly, almost willing them to attack me. I almost want them to come.

Suddenly the boat rumbles to life beneath me and starts to pull away from the pier, the zombies skid to a stop at the edge of the jetty and I stare at them with an expression of uncanny evil. They won't stop, never. Not until I'm dead. Tears stop falling down my cheeks and numbness washes over me, I stare into the distance where hills roll through the valleys until the outline is all that remains.

And that's how I stand, watching England fade away, and everything I had with it.