Chapter 12: The Question

"Never, ever underestimate the importance of having fun." ~ Randy Pausch

- - -

After a full day travelling, I switch off the engine and stuff the keys into my pocket, I jump out the car and my eyes scan the water park. After a day of constant discussion I finally agreed to bring the group here, I suppose it will only take out a day's travel. I sprint over to the generator and pull down the lever; it's as if the whole park springs to life. I'm grateful for the waterpark's rural surroundings or else we would be swarmed by infected, the lights and pumping of water like a beacon to them. Josh pushes open the huge metal doors and the group scurries inside, laughter and cheers following them.

The day seems to pass in a blur, our laughter replacing the norm of screams and fear in a welcome exchange. I sit peacefully on a picnic bench in the middle of the park, the others giggling as they race from one attraction to the other. A part of me wants to join in with the rest of the group, their careless laughter and joyful cheers enticing me in. The bigger part of me scolds myself, I know I have to stay alert if I want to survive and this open space leaves too many entrances for attack with no one keeping watch. 

As my eyes scan the surrounding area I let out a deep sigh, wrapping my arms around my body and raising my knees to my chest. The lifelessness of the resort unsettles me, the noise and flashing lights normally encouraging bustling crowds of tired parents and screeching children, but today it feels uncannily soulless. I see soph wander across the damp concrete towards me, her hair hanging to her shoulders in loose rat's tails. 

"Hey Soph, you had enough?" I ask lightly, a small smile tugging at my lips. 

"Yeah," she replies shortly, "it's surprisingly tiring climbing all those steps, plus I'm ready for some food and water." I chuckle lightly and rise to my feet, rubbing the chills that have crept up my arms.

"How about the burger vans, they've probably got some supplies left? With the amount of sugar and additives in the food they sold I'm sure some of it is still safe to eat," I reason, already wandering towards the stained metal structure. Sophie nods tiredly and follows in my direction, the water squelching in her shoes and creating an irritating rhythm.

I swing open the door and step inside, rolling up the shutter to let the sunlight flood in. I hear Soph call to the others and I'm surprised to see them all jogging over, her voice must have carried over the commotion easier than I first thought. I crouch down to the cupboards and sort through the contents, shoving the cake coated in green mold to one side and gagging as I chuck gone off beef burgers in the general vicinity of the bin. After a few more minutes of searching, I place a selection of crisps and candy on the countertop alongside the cans of fizzy drinks.

The others make their way up to the burger van and I pass them down the food and cans for their lunch before shoving the rest into my spare backpack, the supplies are little in the way of a meal but I'm grateful for anything that could aid our survival. I suppose one day we'll have to grow our own food and purify our water, a lifestyle I'll have to bear in mind when we pass garden centres and hardware stores that might still contain the supplies we'd need to enable this way of life. 

"We should probably get going guys, we want to get on the road again before it's dark so we can gain back some lost time," I say disappointedly, my eyes flickering around the park one last time. I frown slightly as a tiny dash of colour catches my eye, a reflection of light perhaps, though I can't shake the chilling feeling. Right from the start, it felt like I was being stalked by my very own shadow.

We gather up all our belongings and pack it into the back of our car, stacking it in neat piles to prevent anything rolling around whilst we drive. We'll have to eat some of the food in the coming weeks, the shelf life date glaring at us in thick black digits, other items will be fine for much longer. I slam the trunk and pile into the back seats next to Josh and Sophie, clipping my belt into place and letting out a tired sigh. Toby starts the engine and we speed forward, leaving the whirling lights behind us.

I rest my head on Josh's shoulder and close my eyes in the hope of drifting off to sleep, darkness has finally closed over me when the white noise is shattered.

_ _ _ _ _

*Unknown P.O.V*

I have been watching her from a distance for a while now, a year has passed since the incident and time is running short.

***

I see her stood in the hallway nonchalantly, staring at a gold-framed painting on the wall with her arms folded across her chest. I can't believe I'm about to do this. She doesn't deserve this but I have to try, it's the only way.

I creep along the empty hallway and come up behind her, my heart hammering against my ribcage. I raise the fire extinguisher into the air shakily before slamming it down on the back of her head, her unconscious body slumps to the ground and I wince. 

"I'm so sorry," I mumble as I pick her up, my arms sliding under hers as I drag her down the corridor and into an empty lab. With a loud huff, I manage to lay her on the operating table, her arm falling off and dangling down limply. I reach to the countertop behind me and pick up the two needles, the glass slippery in my sweaty palm. I inject the needle of infected blood into her arm with shaking hands, a lone tear falling down my cheek. I wait ten painstakingly long seconds before I immediately inject the light yellow substance and drop the needle to the floor.

Nothing happens. 

I wait a minute longer but still, nothing. No sign of infection. Just a gently beating heart. So perfectly human

I've done it.

***

I don't know how we're meant to enter her life again. She would never forgive us. We tested on her, an experiment that could have cost us her life. Or worse, her humanity.