Chapter 9: The Large Countries

"My illusion, my mistake." ~ Shontelle

- - -

*Unknown P.O.V*

I think I have her in my sights, lead on the ground looking utterly exhausted. If only she knew I was here- watching her, my eyes trailing her every move. My mind flickers back to last autumn and the beginning of this mess, a feeling of desperation coursing through me. I close my eyes wearily and let the memory wash over me.

I walk into the lab and two of my colleagues hard at work on an equation, their voices laced with exhaustion. 

"What are you doing?" I ask, taking in the formulae in front of me.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, we didn't see you there, we're working on this formulae but we can't get it right," she trails off, I look at it for a moment my mind trailing around the numbers.

"Maybe you need to add more of the corrosive chemicals at stage five and apply the venom in stage seven," I suggest quietly, my brow furrowing in confusion.

They both look up at me and nod their heads in appreciation before their pens scratch across the glass again. I purse my lips before moving to walk out the door, an uncomfortable feeling settling in my stomach. I spin around abruptly and poke my head around the doorframe. 

"Wait! Why are you even doing this?" I question, curiosity gripping me. 

"The government wanted it done, a representative came in this morning- said it was urgent. That they need us two to work on it quietly, not tell too many people about it. When I asked why they said they had to solve problems in the large countries," the man says quietly, his eyes darting across the room uneasily.

"Oh ok?" I reply confused, I chew the inside of my lip for a fraction longer before walking back out of the widely open glass door. It slides shut slowly behind me and I cast a final glance over my shoulder, unease coursing through my veins.

As my eyes snap open I sigh, why didn't I realise what they were creating and put a stop to it?  I guess I became too involved in the end. The infection settled over the population like mist, there for a second before it disappeared. If you were exposed to it, you were infected, I guess she got lucky.

But that's no excuse for what I did next, even though I thought I was helping, I shouldn't have tested it on her. She didn't deserve what I did, I just thought she of all people could forgive me, maybe she would somehow accept the fact forgivingly.

But, I must say, the results were truly amazing.