Chapter 9: The Cove

"You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there." ~Louis Cole

- - -

My stomach lurches as I fall forward into the cold sea air, my stomach churning as I fall through the air. I open my eyes instinctively and look around me to see the others plunge into the water, some of their bodies being completely submerged by the waves. The deep sapphire ocean submerged me and it's all I can do not to scream as the iciness suffocates me, I take mouthfuls of salty water as I plunge in face first after spiralling through the air wildly- squeezing my eyes shut once again. I keep sinking and eventually I open my eyes, the salt burning them viciously. I try to move upwards but I feel something wrap around my ankle as I kick my feet, I tug harder but it's no use. 

I look down and watch seaweed in earthy colours grabbing at my ankles, my heart rate picks up and I start to panic. I swim downwards and harshly tug at the coral that restrains me. My breath hurriedly running out, and my lungs burning. I'm going to drown. I'm going to die.

I feel the water around me move harshly and I stare up in panic, a huge wave about to consume me. I shield my face weakly as the wave crashes over me and I'm thrown backwards violently, the sea chucking me around like a rag doll in its powerful hands. I tumble backwards and I'm smashed into the jagged cliff, the impact knocks the air out of me and my face scrapes along the jagged rock.

As my blood mixes with the waves the water grows scarlet and I can only watch, like ink dancing through the freezing depths as it reaches for the seabed. Silent and beautiful in an eerily graceful motion that contrasts the harsh waves. I try to scream but to no avail, bubbles rise from my mouth and I can only watch as they rise to the surface and glint in the blinding sun that reflects off the dangerous waters. I feel my eyes fluttering closed and I know I'm out of oxygen, the others weren't quick enough. They can't save me, not this time.

I slowly turn over and grimace, I feel the seaweed unravel from around my ankle but I'm too far gone to move. I close my eyes to the light of the sun piercing through the water in fractured rays, forming one last thought.

I'm going to die.

***

*Josh's pov*

I hit the water hard and fast, knocking the air straight out of me in a startled gasp of adrenaline. I clutch Ashia tightly to my chest, looking up to see a small pebbly cove a short swim away, I'm about to swim over when I turn to motion to the group around me- waving them towards the shore.

"Come on!" I yell loudly in a feeble attempt to be heard over the roar of the fierce waves, I start to swim to the cove the others following tiredly but close behind. Soon I can stand up and I rush out of the water, taking off my shirt, wringing it out and wrapping it around Ashia's shivering frame. I see the rest of the group panting on the wet pebbly sand and I scan the beach for my girlfriend, panic rising inside me as the beach lacks her presence.

"Madeline?" I call out but get no reply, I turn around and face the rest of the group with a worried expression that courses through my body. "Where's Madeline?" I ask panicked, my heart rate rocketing into oblivion. They all stare around in horror and gape when they only see the empty sands that stretch along the cove, slowly being taken over by the foaming waves that crash ashore.

"Guys she's still out there! She needs help!" I shout, passing Ashia to Soph as I run back into the freezing ocean, sprinting at full speed until I dive under the waves. I swim with power, only coming up for breath when absolutely necessary- my lungs and muscles burning with the strain. I tread water for a second before sinking under and staring at the ocean floor, it looks empty and I'm just about to scream out in frustration when I see movement up against the rocks. 

Madeline.

I swim down until my body collides with hers, her chocolate brown hair swims around her and tiny bubbles trickle out of her mouth in a mesmerising spiral. Her normally tanned skin is a sickly pale and her eyelids are tightly closed, her arms and legs floating lifelessly around her as they slam against the cliff with the power of every wave.

I slide my arms underneath her and pull her tightly into my chest, my tears mixing with the ocean as I swim up to the surface and spit the salty water out of my mouth. I swim the short distance over to the beach as fast as my muscles allow but I feel as if the waves drag me back with every push forwards, I feel the tears streaming from my eyes as I make it onto the beach and I lay Madeline down on the pebbles gently.

I shake her shoulders roughly but the motion comes to no avail, her body just as lifeless as before.

"MADELINE, MADELINE?" I scream but she stays silent. I hear Soph start to shout as well, even Toby and Maria join in, but it's no use. We'll only attract the infected, though my mind is dangerously preoccupied.

I start to press down on her chest, desperately trying to keep her heart beating, but my attempts get more feeble with no response. I press my ear to her chest and hear her delicate heartbeat getting weaker.

"Come on!" I grunt as I press down on her heart again and again. "Come on Madeline! You can do it! Do it for Ashia, our daughter and for Soph, Toby and Maria your friends. Do it for me, Madeline. We can't do this without you," I plead traumatised.

"PLEASE!" I scream, my throat blistering with pain.

I press my ear against her chest once again, but I don't even hear her feeble heart beating.

Instead, I hear nothing.

Just silence- the sound Madeline had grown so strongly to fear.