Chapter 16: The L Word

"I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there's a life after that, I'll love you then." ~ Cassandra Clare

- - -

I slowly turn around and see a middle-aged couple stood in front of us, the man pointing his gun at me shakily and a woman gripping a baseball bat- my finger hovers over the gun in my waistband instinctively. Their faces are filled with worry but there is a certain kindness in their eyes, somewhat parent like and it takes me back slightly. The woman turns to the man slowly and lowers her bat, a tight grimace spreading across her features.

"Nicholas they're just kids, drop the gun," she says and Nicholas complies instantly before turning back to face us with a weary demeanour.

"Who are you, kids?" Nicholas asks gently and I swallow nervously before stepping forwards slightly.

"I'm Madeline," I speak cautiously and then gesture to my friends in turn, "this is Josh, Toby, Amelia and Sophie."

The pair smile at us gently and I relax my posture, my fingers dropping away from the cold metal that presses against my side- a constant reminder of its chilling presence. 

"I'm Lara and this is my husband Nicholas," the woman explains kindly with a sweet smile and I return one graciously.

"It's nice to meet you both, I'm sorry for us intruding like this, we didn't realise anyone still lived here," I apologise and they shake their heads dismissively.

"Don't worry about it, that Toby's got quite a powerful kick on him! I don't suppose you lads would mind helping me fix the door up, would you?" Nicholas asks cheerfully and the boys rush forward to help him. They push up the board and the shrill screech of drilling fills the air, setting me on edge as I scan the street for attracted infected. They walk back from the secure door and I smile at how quickly they completed the job as a team, maybe we should stick around with this couple for s while longer.

Once Nicholas and the boys rejoin us Lara perks up again, her voice warm and friendly.

"So what are you all doing here? What are your plans?" she asks enthusiastically, a small smile etching itself onto her lips. I think about this for a second before answering, knowing it's likely the couple won't approve. 

"We're going to London," I say shortly and I stare at the couple in front of me, my eyes scanning their faces for emotion. Smiles break onto their faces as they burst into chuckles of rolling laughter, a frown tugs at my brows.

"That's a good one but really, what are..." Nicholas begins but trails off almost immediately, probably due to the look on my face, his jaw quivering subconsciously.

"You're not joking, are you?" Lara says and gapes at me, her eyebrows raised high on her pale face. I shake my head and she presses further, "Why?" she whispers and I sigh.

"Answers, it's what we all want. We're not stupid and we know the infected will be ten times worse than anything we've seen but we need to know if there's a cure, as mad as it sounds," I explain and almost struggle to ignore the farfetchedness of our plan. It sounded a lot better in my head.

"And if there is no cure?" Nicholas questions blankly. 

"Then we try and make one!" I reply exasperated, my mind whirling for an answer as crazy as our mission. "We're not children, between us Josh and I were studying biomedical engineering and the immune system before all this started- I want to be a scientist- wanted to be," I explain softly and my eyes dart over their blank faces.

"You do realise to make a cure you would have to infect someone right?" Lara says and I shake my head strongly.

"I'm not infecting anyone," I say stubbornly and they just shrug defensively at my reaction to their suggestion. "We'll find a way around this, but I won't inflict the disease on anybody."

"Will you come with us?" Soph pipes up and we all shoot her obvious glares, "what?" she asks, oblivious to her own question.

"No offence to Nicholas and Lara, but we don't really know them Sophie and I doubt they would ever in a million years want to come with us to London of all places!" I elaborate, wincing as I explain a statement which I'm sure does, in fact, cause offence.

"Oh I'm sorry," she mumbles and I squeeze her shoulder sympathetically, we all make mistakes and I often forget of her age. Fifteen, still at secondary school- not even having taken her GCSE's yet, so young to be dealing with all this.

"Actually we would!" Lara exclaims and I raise my eyes brows questioningly.

"What? Really? Why?" I question suspiciously, my eyes narrowing and my heartbeat quickening to a steady thrum. They shift uncomfortably in their seats and I feel a little embarrassed by my outburst of suspicion, uncrossing my arms in an attempt to appear less hostile. 

"Our daughter was killed by one of those zombies and we owe it to her to try and figure it out. If we find a cure then we can treat her," Nicholas says sadly and dread courses through me.

"Where is she?" I ask anxiously and they chuckle, looking at each other in numb happiness.

"In a warehouse down the road we couldn't shoot her..." he trails off into awkward silence.

"Ok, well if you want to come with us then we would really appreciate the help," I say and they both nod their heads in eager agreement. "It's going to be bad in the capital, any extra hands would be greatly appreciated," I say stiffly before drifting off into silence. 

As the sun disappears behind the horizon, Lara suggests that we get an early night before travelling tomorrow. We all agree eagerly and decide that the hotel is secure enough for us all to take separate rooms, but still, I can't help the chills that run through me at the sinister silence that returns as I'm left alone. After hours of tossing and turning I slip out into the hallway and down the hall to Josh's room, climbing into Josh's bed and curling up beside him. 

"Can we trust them?" I ask Josh amongst the silence and he sighs- indicating his consciousness.

"I really don't know, they seem genuine but we should keep wary of them for now," he says in concentration.

"I guess so," I say shortly, his reply confirming my previous thoughts.

"So what's the plan for tomorrow? I think we should get back on the road early," Josh says and I nod with a deep heavy sigh.

"So should we plan to get up at the crack of dawn and pack all of the supplies into our cars ready for the journey, then travel up to London. That should take us about two days because we want to stop in between to break up the journey, the last thing we want is to arrive shattered and less aware," I muse quietly. Josh nods along to my suggestion, his arm wrapped around me tightly. 

"And what about when we get to London?" Josh questions almost silently, his words whispers amongst the peacefulness.

"We don't get bitten. Find answers and find a lab," I state blankly, the attempt at humour and bluntness falling short.

"But what about when we get to the labs? What if there are loads of security and they won't let us in?" he asks, again.

"Then we break in," I say, growing tired now at his attempts to pester me.

"Ok and if there is no one and no cure- what do we do?" he asks smartly, a smirk tugging at his lips.

"Then we make our own," I reply with equal sarcasm, my cheeks flustered in annoyance.

"That's a plan because we're definitely capable of that advanced science," Josh chuckles sarcastically with a glowing smirk plastered on his face.

"Don't underestimate us, we can learn and it's the only plan we've got," I reply slightly worried about our overall lack of planning and knowledge.

After a moment's silence, I turn and face Josh, looking into his stormy grey eyes illuminated by the moonlight. 

"I love you," I mumble and he narrows his eyes at me in the darkness.

"Sorry, what was that?" he asks cheekily and I grin widely.

"I love you," I reply and before he can say anything I've drifted away into the land of peaceful sleep.