Chapter 6: The Basement

"Have you ever noticed there is never any third act of a nightmare? They bring you to a climax of terror and then leave you there." ~ Max Beerbohm

- - -

"Mum?" I shout into the uncanny darkness, "Mum, where are you? Dad? Can you hear me?"

I'm sat tied to a rickety wooden chair as I hear the helpless screams of my loved ones around me, tears fill my eyes as hopelessness consumes me and I shatter in the dreadful noise- my hands running through my tangled hair in despair.

Laughter.

It stands out amongst the screams like a beacon of light, it's impossible not to notice. Someone starts speaking close to my ear but I can't turn around, my body is frozen solidly in place, they speak inhumanly fast and I only catch the odd word.

The screams get louder, my head spins as the screams slip through my fingers like shards of glass

"Madeline! Madeline! MADELINE!"

My eyes snap open, my heart racing as I desperately try to take in my surroundings. 

"Madeline?" Josh  calls, his voice instantly calming my racing pulse. "Are you ok?" he asks in a troubled manner, his eyes searching mine for any signs of pain.

"Yeah, I guess. What happened?" I ask groggily, my eyes scanning the forest that lines the road like a thick jade maze.

He explains painfully slowly but my brain still struggles to keep up with his steady voice, my head pounding distractedly. 

"You were driving along the road when a zombie launched itself at the car, you swerved to avoid it but jolted the car too hard and you smashed your head on the window- knocking yourself out," he explains, searching my face for injury, his fingers trailing over my throbbing skull.

"Really?" I ask, that's impressive, even for someone as clumsy as me.

"Yeah, you scared me to death too! Luckily the car appears to have minimal damage, a few scratches perhaps," he chuckles, a caring smile gleaming at me. His fingers brush an open cut and I wince harshly, red-hot pain searing across my skin, Josh apologises gently and I grit my teeth feebly.

"Where did the zombie come from?" I ask abruptly, panic bubbling deep inside me and scratching up my throat with razor-sharp claws. He waits a while and chews his lip in a way of consideration and confusion before answering.

"I don't know, it just appeared from the side of the road- maybe the forest. I only saw the movement out the corner of my eye, before I could say anything it was too late," he replies. I nod my head slowly as he speaks but still wince at the pain.

"Here have this," Josh says handing me a bottle of water and some pills as he sees my discomfort.

"Thanks," I reply taking a huge gulp of water and swallowing the pills quickly. They stick to the back of my throat, spreading a dull ache, as uneasiness swirls around my thriving mind.

"So," I mutter, "where did the zombie go?"

He purses his lips before continuing quietly, "Toby and I took her down before she could cause any more damage, I guess I watched you throwing knives for a long time because I'm actually not bad," he says with a hint of achievement in his voice.

"That's great, where is she now, though?" I ask again, slightly on edge and batting his attempted humour to one side dismissively.

"Just back there on the road where we left her," he mumbles. I try to slowly get up to inspect their work, but Josh snaps immediately.