Epilouge

"Lord keep her safe since you can't keep her sane." ~ Gloria Naylor

- - -

The boat pulls up at the harbour and it bumps into the bridge with a thud, it only took about half an hour to get here but it seemed like a lifetime. We all walk off the ferry silently and onto the island, which lies empty in front of us. We finally made it, the thought should fill me with emotion, but instead, I feel nothing.

The sun beats down on us and I flinch away from the light, pulling Ashia close to my chest as she yawns sleepily. We walk for miles, I don't know how long with time lacking any meaning anymore. Minutes turn into hours and hours fade away into days, the numbness since Amelia's death never really leaving.

We walk silently into a small dated town and the silence echoes around us, the island seems to have been hit pretty hard and we're yet to see anyone- human or else. The group sits down in a quaint café and I look around emotionlessly, any other time I would be captivated by the queer antiques but instead, a feeling of unease flickers through the room.

Suddenly static floods through the café and we all jump to our feet, wielding knives shakily as Jaz yaps uneasily. Dehydration makes my head throb and I'm weak from the growing hunger. I stare around until finally my eyes settle on an old radio sat in the corner, I walk over and bend down whilst pressing random buttons.

Screams suddenly fill the air and we all flinch at the terror-filled sound, I frown in confusion and wait for further noise. After about ten minutes I sigh and finally walk away, but just as my back turns a voice rings out loud and clear.

"HELP! WE NEED HELP! IF ANYONE'S OUT THERE OUR COUNTRY NEEDS HELP!" I stiffen at the information and hold my breath waiting for it to continue.

"PARIS HAS BEEN OVERRUN BY A UNKNOWN VIRUS AND WE HAVE SIMILAR REPORTS COMING IN FROM NEW YORK, TOKYO, MADRID AND SYDNEY. ALL THESE ARE LIKE THE REPORTS FROM LONDON A YEAR AGO, BEFORE LONDON WENT SILENT. PLEASE IF YOUR OUT THERE, IF YOU'RE A SURVIVOR HELP US. PARIS IS CONTAMINATED, HELP US!" the message finishes and the line goes dead leaving static to once again fill the air.

London went silent? Does that mean London stopped communication with anyone a year ago? Surely the apocalypse has lasted longer than that, the moNths either side of my pregnancy and changing of seasons confirming my thoughts. A frown creases my forehead as I question who the communication could have been between. The government, military, survivors? The options are endless and provide little in the way of reassurance. I look around the group before finally, Sophie breaks the silence that had settled.

"What do they mean?" she asks and I gape for a second before answering quietly, my voice barely more than a whisper.

"It means that we're not alone, it's not just England anymore. The virus has spread, it's worldwide and everywhere is infected now," I trail off and the group lapses into an uncomfortable silence. "It means the last of humanity is about to be wiped out," I add, "and it's all my fault..." I whisper before lapsing back into a never ending silence.

***

*Unknown Pov*

Death will catch us all. Give it time, give it strength.