Chapter 5: The Proposal

"A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep." ~ Maria Daniela

- - -

We make it to the town's outskirts around midday with an uneasy feeling settling around me, the whole journey here I have sensed that something has been watching me. Stalking my every move. I'm sure I've seen a flash of colour out the corner of my vision, the crunch of twigs underfoot snapping through the air.

The thought makes me shudder, my hands jittering nervously as I scan the area. I step closer to Josh and he puts his arm around my shoulders tightly.

"Where do we go? What do we do now?" he asks tiredly, a hint of anger in his voice.

"Are you ok?" I ask tentatively, scanning his unreadable expression.

"Well the worlds crumbling around us in chunks of flesh and there's nobody to help us, nobody. No police, no army, nobody. We could be the last people on Earth for crying out loud," he spits with a hostile venom dripping from his tone.

I nod gently and let out a tut of disapproval.

"All for protecting us right? The only thing they could protect us from was petty crime, they probably didn't even know this was coming," I say in agreement with Josh's words.

"I guess we either go into the town now and find a place to stay, or we camp out here tonight and look around in the daylight tomorrow. We both need to rest," I reply to his earlier questions uncertainly, my mind drowsy with the longing for sleep.

He looks at me for a while before speaking back.

"I think we should camp here- we have a good spot, we're in a small clump of trees nobody will see us and plus the town at night? I don't think that's a good idea," he chuckles. A small smile tugs at my chapped lips and I smile in agreeance. 

The tent is easy to put up, the structure appears to do most of the work. It was good thinking to bring one with us, although sleeping outside does hold a hint of danger. The green material ripples in the breeze and I bite my lip uneasily, gathering up leaves and branches to cover the tent in for added camouflage. We decide against a fire, thinking it will just attract unwanted attention and settle for a packet of crisps and an apple each before we lay down peacefully and in no time fall asleep.

I wake up due to the cold air that chills my skin to an icy blanket, the end of my nose a light scarlet and every joint in me sustain a dull ache. My eyes flicker open and widen straight into shock, my lips parting to take in a squeal of surprise. My hand pressed up against Josh's chest and his arm is draped just beneath my hip, the embrace comforting and warm. I try to gently untangle myself but his arm just tightens around me and I let out a huff of annoyance.

I feel Josh stir and I see his brown eyes flutter open.

"Good morning!" he says, his voice croaky and cracked. His dirty, blonde hair is ruffled stylishly and I can't help but compare my wild mess to his handsome appearance.

"Morning," I reply awkwardly, he stares at me before noticing our positions and removing his arm. "I'm going to change," I stutter quietly, rising to a crouch and grab a warmer set of clothes before unzipping the dewy sheen of material. He chuckles as I start to climb through the gap with my knife in hand, walking out of the tent clumsily.

Walking over to the moss-covered logs we sat on last night I notice a colder breeze than yesterday, the hairs on my arms standing on end. I change quickly from my shorts to jeans and trainers; I pull my tank top over my head- starting to tie my muddy shoelaces when I hear someone behind me.

"Sorry!" Josh exclaims when I turn around, "I was just coming to give you your jacket..." he trails off.

"It's ok, don't worry about it," I say and walk over to him, I take the damp leather jacket from him and shrug it over my shoulders. We stare at each other awkwardly before I pipe up, "We should probably get some breakfast and then head into town."