Chapter 4: Hot Wheels

Coach Hedge POV

"All right, boys and girls, just because your season is over doesn't mean that you can take it easy. You're gonna work harder than ever," I barked. 

Toughness was what worked best when coaching teenagers. 

Suddenly, a phone started to ring loudly. All the swimmers immediately tensed. They knew that phones and gadgets were not allowed in the pool room. 

"Oh, I wonder whose phone that is?" I growled in temperament. 

One of the bigger swimmers of the team stepped forward. Frank Zhang was generally a good teammate and student, so it was a little confusing why he broke the 'no-phone' rule now. 

"Coach, that's my phone, can I please take it? It might be important," he said pleadingly. 

"Fine, just this once, Zhang," I said sharply. 

Frank started walking over to the bench. Meanwhile, the rest of the team started to enter the pool. I noticed that Percy Jackson wasn't here again. He hasn't shown up to practice for two days despite having to hardcore prepare for States. 

Percy was the best swimmer that has graced the halls of Goode High. He was only a junior, yet he had a serious shot of placing very high in the States competition.

"All right, let's go, swimmers. You all can do better than that," I barked. 

Most of the swimmers on the team weren't trying very hard. Of course, their season was over, so they didn't feel the need. 

However, an athlete has to always practice and be ready for competition.

"Coach Hedge," Frank said softly as he came up to me. Frank had tears bristling in his eyes as he gazed at me. 

"Everything all right, Zhang?" I asked in a lower voice. 

Zhang simply shook his head before coming forward. He whispered the news into my ear so that no one else heard. 

"Percy is at the hospital. He had an infection, and he's blind now," he said quietly. His voice was shaking with emotions. I knew that Zhang and Jackson were good friends. 

I stared at the large swimmer in shock. 

This couldn't be real. My star swimmer permanently lost his vision. 

"Zhang, you are dismissed if you'd like to leave," I said boldly. 

"Thanks, Coach," he said before rushing away. 

I took a seat on the bench. Percy Jackson was made and born to swim, but now he couldn't. Despite being a tough guy, I couldn't stop my sadness. Goode High lost an amazing athlete, who was already creating a name for himself, his school, and his town. 

Why did the world have to be so screwed up? 

Why were the gods so cruel, especially to those who are talented and kind-hearted?

***

Jason POV

It's been over a week since Percy lost his vision, and I couldn't take it anymore. I had to see and talk to my best friend. He was going through so much change, and I had to be there for him. 

So, I decided to sneak into the hospital and go to Percy's room. 

He's just gonna have to deal with it. 

I quickly crouched behind a bed as a group of nurses walked past me. I've had several close calls as I made my way towards the patient rooms. Mrs. Blofis said that Percy would be discharged soon, so I was assuming that Percy was feeling a little better (despite losing his vision). 

Blind Swimmerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें