Chapter 10: Football

Percy POV

When you're blind, you rely on two senses in particular: touch and hearing. 

However, hearing flew out the window as I sat on the stands at the football game. Jason was the quarterback, and the players from both teams were already warming up on the field. The team that my high school was facing today should be an easy win. 

Honestly, I felt uncomfortable with all the noise. People were screaming, and music was playing loudly. 

I loved parties and games, but this was all too overwhelming right now. 

"Percy, are you okay, man?" Frank asked. 

He was the one that guided me towards our place in the stands. There was no way, even with the walking stick, that I would've smoothly made it to my seat.

"Yeah, I'm fine, thanks Frank," I said firmly. 

"Really, you don't seem too comfortable," Frank said. 

"I'm good, Frank. Just gotta get used to the noise and people," I said. 

"Don't worry, Percy. We'll narrate what's happening in the game. Although, the announcer will probably follow the game as well," Frank said reassuringly. 

"Sounds good. Wait, where's everyone else?" I asked. 

"We're right next to you, Seaweed Brain," Annabeth exclaimed over the music. 

I practically jumped in the air. Her voice came from my left, and I hadn't even heard my friends pull up. It was so loud that I couldn't rely on my sense of hearing for anything. 

Fortunately, the speaker system at our football field was loud. 

"Don't scare me like that," I exclaimed. "You practically gave me a heart attack, Wise Girl."

I could hear her laughing as she sat down next to me. It was so crowded on the stands that our sides were pressing against each other. 

I didn't mind the close proximity to Annabeth. 

"Sorry about that, Percy," Hazel said cheerfully. She was probably sitting next to Frank, but that was still pretty close. 

Everyone knew that Frank and Hazel had a thing for each other. Of course, they both were too shy to act on it. They're gonna need help. 

I laughed at how sweet Hazel was. "It's no big deal, Hazel." 

"So, Percy, how was your first week of school? I hope that it wasn't too bad," Thalia said. I knew that everyone was awaiting my response. 

"It was actually pretty good, guys. You all helped so much," I said. 

I was so thankful for my friends for everything they did throughout the week. I spent the most time with my friends. A few friends that I had before weren't the same with me anymore, but these guys were. I appreciated it so much. 

The game started pretty soon. The announcer narrated the entire game, so even though I couldn't watch, I was able to follow. 

Almost everyone started leaving at the same time after the game was over. Our team won the game, 17-3. 

"All right, Percy, just follow me," Annabeth said seriously. 

She took my arm and started to guide me out of the stands. There were a lot of people, and I felt like a rag doll being pushed around. 

"Annabeth, maybe, we should wait until it clears up," I said nervously. 

"Seaweed Brain, if we wait, we'll be stuck in the parking lot for like an hour," Annabeth said. She did have a point.