Chapter 20: Dance

Jason POV

"Come on, Percy, you have to come," I exclaimed.

"Jason, we've already been over this. I don't want to come to the dance. Besides, I'm super tired from today's swim meet anyway," Percy said. 

We were in Percy's room. I stopped by his home on my way to Piper's house.

"Percy, we're not going to the dance unless you come with us," Thalia said firmly.

Percy simply sighed. "Thalia, please-" 

"And, you better come because I didn't wear a dress for no reason," Thalia said quickly interrupted Percy before he could finish. 

"Bro, seriously, the dance will be a good unwind from the stress of the past few weeks. You've been working hard with school and swimming," I said. 

Percy had competed in every meet in December. 

Now, all of the sports seasons were on break for the holidays. 

"Guys, I don't have a date nor do I want to date. Can we please just drop it?" Percy pleaded. 

"Yeah, like I have a date," Thalia snapped. 

"A bunch of us are going as a group, Percy. You're not the only single fella. Besides, if you really want a date, I'm sure we can find someone for you at the dance," I said. 

"That's not the point, Jason," Percy said seriously. 

I patted his shoulder, and my voice softened "I know, Percy, but it's okay. Just come and have fun." 

I could see and hear Percy's shrug. Then, he smiled. 

"Fine, I will. I gotta ask Paul for a tux," he said. 

"We already got that handled, Kelp Head," Thalia exclaimed. Thalia carefully picked up the tux off of the table and held it out for Percy. 

"What? How?" Percy asked in confusion as he took the suit. 

"We convinced your mom to have it ready. Duh," Thalia said while laughing. 

I was chuckling too as I gently pushed Percy towards his restroom. Percy quickly showered and got dressed while Thalia went to the living room. In a few minutes, Percy was ready with his tailored tux, green tie, and walking stick. 

I freshened up while waiting for Percy. 

I fixed my light blue tie that Piper picked out to match her dress. I couldn't wait to see Piper in her dress, and I was actually excited for the dance. 

"All right, we're all ready," Percy said as we both walked into the living room. 

"Aww, you look so handsome, honey," Sally said brightly. 

Thalia and I waited by the front door as Percy talked to his mom. Before we left, Percy hugged his mom and kissed his mother on the cheek. 

Sometimes, I got jealous of Percy for having such a loving mom. 

Percy was very lucky to have a mom and step-dad like Sally and Paul. 

Percy knew that as well, and he always showed his appreciation. I loved that about Percy. He never took things for granted, and he always showed his gratitude. 

We quickly went outside and got in my car to go pick up Piper. I was pretty sure that Leo also needed a ride to the dance. 

I looked in the rearview mirror at Percy. I could tell that my best friend was nervous but also very excited.