Chapter 19: Heat

Sally POV

There was a relatively large crowd at the swim meet today. I was sitting on the stands with Paul eagerly waiting to see my son compete again for the first time in months. 

I was beyond nervous but also happy. This is what Percy wanted and loved to do. 

I watched as Percy carefully climbed the white starting board. The race would start soon. His fingers carefully trailed the edge of the starting board as he lined himself up with the lane. 

I noticed that he kept his eyes closed as he performed his initial steps. 

"He's gonna do great, Sally," Paul said comfortingly. 

I gratefully accepted his hand, and he kissed my fingers softly. I took in a deep breath as I waited in anticipation.

Two of Goode High's staff members were at either end of the lane with a tapper pole. 

"It took Percy a lot of time to fully trust his helpers," I said firmly. 

"Yeah, but he learned to trust them, Sally. We should have faith that they'll do their jobs properly as well. Percy knows who's good for his team," Paul said. 

I noticed Annabeth nod from the other side as well. Jason and many other friends of Percy's were here to cheer Percy on. Actually, the swim meet was so crowded because many of our town's citizens were here to witness the star swimmer (who was blind now) compete again. 

The whistle blew loudly, and the swimmers dived into the pool. 

I was sitting on the edge of my seat as I watched Percy glide through the water and resurface. His powerful strokes and kicks took over as starting to swim. 

Tears brewed in my eyes as I watched my son swim again. 

Percy belonged in the water. Even blindness wasn't hindering that passion. 

In a matter of seconds, the first back tap came. Percy flipped and turned immediately, and he pulled it off perfectly. 

I could almost hear the sighs of relief from the people around me, who all cared so much about my son.  

You didn't need your vision to succeed in swimming. 

Percy was proving that. 

Normally, I wouldn't come to Percy's local competitions because I had honestly gotten used to Percy's successes in the pool. But, it felt so great to see his success once more. 

Percy finished first in the heat by several seconds, and he continued to rank high throughout the competition. Percy didn't win every heat like he used to. Also, his times were slightly down compared to last year, but it didn't matter. 

Percy was still so competitive and so strong. 

"Well, it looks like Goode High is back in the game," the announcer boomed at the end of the swim meet. 

"Congratulations, Percy Jackson. It's an honor to have an athlete such as yourself in our circuit. You are an inspiration to us all," he exclaimed. 

Cheering erupted throughout the pool room. 

Tears of joy flowed down my cheeks as I gazed at my beautiful boy. 

Percy nodded firmly with a bright smile. 

***

Paul POV

"Percy, we're so proud of you," Sally exclaimed as she ran and embraced our son in the parking lot.