Chapter 22: Push & Pull

Sally POV

Percy wasn't having a good winter break. 

He didn't come out of his room much except for when he had to go swimming. Swimming helped Percy think and calm down, but it didn't help his mood after swimming practice was over. 

According to Jason, Percy and Annabeth had gotten into a fight at the dance. 

I could already imagine what it was about. After all, I had been a teenager once. However, I also knew that it was probably my son who pushed her away. 

Annabeth was an angel, so I doubted that she was in the wrong. 

"Paul, maybe we should talk to Percy. He's been moody ever since the dance," I said. 

"Yeah, we should, but we should use caution. After all, this is teenage relationship stuff that we'll be talking about," Paul said gently. 

I nodded in agreement. 

We were about to go to Percy's room when the doorbell rang. 

I sighed as I walked towards the front door. We weren't expecting anyone, so I was surprised to Annabeth at our doorstep. 

"Annabeth, dear, you surprised me," I said brightly as I hugged her. 

"Sorry, Sally, is it a bad time?" she asked. 

"Not at all, dear, come in. I'm actually glad that you're here," I said. 

"Really? Why?" Annabeth asked. "Percy's been ignoring me, so I thought that you'd be hesitant of my presence here," she expressed calmly. 

"Knowing my son, it was probably his fault," I said brightly. "I'm just glad you're here to cheer him up. He's been kinda down." 

"Yeah, probably cause of me," Annabeth said sadly. 

"No, it's because he probably misses you after your fight," I said. I didn't know much information about what happened. Percy wasn't talking about it. 

"Sally, is it okay if I go talk to Seaweed Brain?" Annabeth asked. 

"Absolutely," I exclaimed with a smile. 

I loved their little nicknames for each other. I found it quite adorable but also revealing about the closeness of their relationship. 

Annabeth quickly disappeared into the hallway leading to Percy's room. After seeing Annabeth here, I was confident that Percy would be okay. They'd figure things out together. 

***

Percy POV

I was in my room listening to the sports radio station. I really didn't have anything to do, and I was too depressed to find something to do. 

I missed Annabeth a lot. 

Ugh, why did I have to be so stupid towards her? 

I made everything awkward and uncomfortable, and it probably hurt our friendship. I liked her a lot, but I couldn't get myself to accept her. She deserved better. 

"Hey, Seaweed Brain," her voice greeted. 

I jolted up from my bedroom in surprise. For a second, I thought that I was hallucinating her voice, but then, I heard her footsteps come closer. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," Annabeth said softly. 

"Annabeth, what are you doing here?" I asked while still in shock. 

"We need to talk," Annabeth said firmly. 

I stood there in silence. My hand fumbled with my nightstand until I found the radio and turned it off. I could smell Annabeth's signature lemony shampoo.