Chapter 25: Blindness

Annabeth POV

I was waiting by the front entrance of our school. The team bus would be arriving at any time from the States swimming competition. 

Percy had competed at States and did quite well as well. 

Moreover, Percy was the first and only blind individual so far to qualify and compete in our state's swimming competition. 

I was so proud of my Seaweed Brain. 

"Ooh, here they come," Jason exclaimed as we all watched the yellow bus driving into the school road. 

The swimmers and Coach Hedge were probably super tired from the long drive. After all, the States competition was hosted several hours away, and our school didn't have the budget necessary to fly our athletes out. 

The bus came to a stop in front of the school. 

A lot of people were here to greet the swimmers. It was the first year in Goode High history that three swimmers made it to States. Normally, we didn't even have one. 

Coach Hedge stepped out first followed by the swimmers. 

However, Percy didn't come outside. 

"Wait, Coach, where's Percy?" I asked immediately with concern as I ran up to him. 

Coach Hedge chuckled as he embraced his pregnant wife. They were due for a baby any day now, and it was a happy sight. 

"Annabeth, Percy has fallen asleep on the bus. No one woke him up," Coach Hedge said. 

I let out a breath of relief before climbing onto the bus. Jason and some of our friends followed me inside. As Coach Hedge said, Percy was passed out in the third to last seat. His head was resting against the bag that he placed against the window as a pillow. 

"Aww, he looks so cute and peaceful," Piper commented. 

Both Jason and I gaped at Piper. She just called my boyfriend cute. I mean, she wasn't wrong but still. 

"Err, I meant it like a friend," Piper sighed. 

I picked up Percy's walking stick, which must've fallen on the floor during the drive. Honestly, I didn't want to wake him up because he did look so cute and peaceful. 

Jason went forward and jerked Percy awake. 

Percy sat up quickly and frantically looked around. Of course, he couldn't see anything, but it was a reflex to being woken up. 

"Relax, bro, it's just me," Jason said. "You've reached home, so wake up now." 

"Ugh, I fell asleep," Percy said as he cracked his neck and stretched. A smile graced his handsome face as he stood up. Jason helped him. 

"Yeah, no kidding, Seaweed Brain," I exclaimed with a laugh. 

"Wise Girl," he acknowledged happily. 

I went forward and hugged him. Our positioning was uncomfortable because we were inside a small school bus, but the hug itself was very good. 

I missed him so much, and it had only been five days since he left for States. 

I leaned back and wiped his cheek lightly. 

"You drool a little in your sleep, Seaweed Brain," I said chuckling. 

Percy instinctively wiped his cheek and he blushed a little. Then, he turned to everyone else inside the bus.

"Thanks, everyone, for coming to pick me up," Percy said firmly. 

"Bro, you did great at States," Frank commented. Everyone cheered along. 

"Thanks, guys. I wish that I could celebrate, but I'm really tired," Percy said earnestly. He must've been exhausted considering he would otherwise never let up an opportunity to hang out with his friends. 

"It's cool, Percy." "Yeah, you should go home and sleep." 

Our friends commented as we walked out of the bus. Percy always used his walking stick, and it had pretty much become a part of him. Kind of like how a sword was to a soldier. 

Percy was gonna get driven home by Jason. Piper and I had also ridden along with him. Thalia had to stay behind at school for track. 

Percy and I sat in the back as Piper sat upfront with Jason. 

I took Percy's hand in mine. Percy pulled my hand up to his lips and kissed it softly. 

"I missed you, Wise Girl, even though it's only been a few days," Percy said with a smile. 

"Yeah, honestly, me too," I commented. 

Percy leaned forward in an attempt to kiss me. He missed the trajectory, and his lips ended up kissing my jawline instead. However, Percy was quick to adapt. 

The kiss was so simple, yet filled with passion. Neither of us really wanted to stop the kiss, and so we didn't. 

"Okay, no PDA in my car," Jason said loudly. 

Percy and I broke our kiss with a laugh. Percy smiled at me sweetly. I knew that he couldn't see my smile, but I hoped that he could at least feel it. 

Because it was a smile that demonstrated that I loved him. 

The rest of the car ride was filled with conversation, laughter, and love. 

***

Percy POV

I was currently in a neighboring community's swimming pool. 

The school year was coming to a close, and I spent a lot of time in the water because it helped me think about the future. 

I was taking a gap year after graduation. 

I didn't know what I wanted to do or what I could do, but the best part is that I was still alive to figure it out. Blindness wasn't an obstacle that I couldn't overcome. 

My muscles pumped me through the water. 

It was a lightly swim today, but I had already been going for about an hour. I simply told my mom to pick me up after an hour, so it was almost time to go.  

I pulled myself out of the pool and sat on the edge. 

It was sunny and hot today, and the sun felt so good on my skin. I leaned back and closed my eyes as I absorbed the warmth. 

I remembered exactly a year ago. I had just lost my eyesight, and I was in the hospital. I had never even imagined that my life would be so happy right now. 

I had lost my vision, but (thanks to my family, friends, and supervisors) I hadn't lost myself. Specifically, Chiron, Jason, and Annabeth always managed to bring me back. 

"Percy, are you ready to go, honey?" my mom asked sweetly. 

I turned towards her voice as I nodded with a smile. 

I grabbed my walking stick and followed behind my mom's footsteps. She was a strong woman, and she raised me to be the same. 

I smiled to myself as I thought about my life now. 

My life wasn't perfect (and I had flaws), but blindness wasn't one of them. Blindness wasn't a flaw that I despised. It was a challenge that I was still adapting to. 

A disability wasn't something to be ashamed of. 

It was a part of me. 

Even with my blindness, I realized that I can still do the things that I loved, and I can still be with the people whom I loved. 

You can call me a blind swimmer because I'm okay with that title now. 

And, I'm happy with my life. 

समाप्त - The End - ముగింపు