Chapter 9: Pool

Annabeth POV

"How was your first day, Seaweed Brain?" I asked. 

We were walking towards the west wing of Goode High. It was a slow pace because Percy was using his left hand to guide him along the wall, but I didn't mind. 

"It was fine, but I forgot how boring and tiring school is," Percy said slyly. 

"School is not that bad, Seaweed Brain."

"You're just saying that because you're a Wise Girl," he exclaimed. 

His walking stick hit the garbage can that came in front of him. Percy paused before going around the trashcan and then continued walking. He has gotten a lot better at moving around since the summer. 

I was so happy for him. 

"A what?" I asked in laughter. 

"Yeah, you're a complete Wise Girl. You're too smart, and you love learning like a nerd," Percy said with a smile. 

I shoved him playfully. 

"Ow, Wise Girl, how could you hit a blind man?" Percy said as he laughed like an idiot. 

"Just because you're blind doesn't mean I can't beat you up, Seaweed Brain," I said back to him. 

We were simply laughing as we reached the end of the hallway. Going straight would lead us outside (to the field), left would lead to the gym, and right would lead to the pool. 

Percy went from the wall he was holding now to the opposite wall.  

His stick bumped into the wall first as he smiled. The fresh scent of chlorine was already permeating the hallway. 

"Annabeth, can we go sit in on the swim team?" Percy asked. 

"That's why we're here, Seaweed Brain," I said. 

Percy frowned. "But, you told me that we'd go to Jason and Piper who are at their football and cheer practices."

"I lied. I thought you'd like to see, err, visit your team," I said finishing awkwardly. 

"Yeah. My former team," Percy said a little sadly. 

However, he recovered quickly and put on a smile. It must've been hard to lose the thing you loved to do the most. Percy loved swimming, and he was really great at it, too. Yet, he had to give it up. 

We walked into the indoor pool room. The first things that hit us were the scent of chlorine, the noise of people and splashing, and angry whistles. 

"Wow, looks like your coach really likes his team," I said. 

Percy was smiling blissfully. "Yeah, if he didn't yell and whistle, he didn't like you." 

Since the floor was slippery, I decided to take Percy's arm. His face turned towards mine in shock, but he didn't pull away. I carefully led him to the stands on the right side of the pool. 

I watched as Coach Hedge approached us. 

This man really never smiled. 

"Hello, Jackson," Coach Hedge said boldly. 

Percy jumped in surprise. Of course, he hadn't seen Coach approach. I guess that I should have told him. 

Coach Hedge acknowledged me with a gentle nod. 

"Hello, Coach. How are they looking?" Percy asked. 

"Driving me insane is how they're doing. I don't think we'll win a single heat," Coach Hedge barked in annoyance.